Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 9756 times)

*Karen*

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 02:36:57 AM »

Your terminology ("escaped") concerns me ... has she been diagnosed with Alzheimer's?

We were given instruction by the doc not to let her out of the house for the first 3 weeks in case of a relapse. We did explained to her and she "understood" but somehow she slipped out of the house without telling anyone. A check has been scheduled for August 2, from there we might be able to know if it's Alzheimer's or just the meds.

It almost sounds as if you've given up.  Please, don't.

Of course I haven't given up on her, she's my mom and I'm all she's got. We just hired a day-nurse for her as most of us are working. We even got a qualified therapist to play brain games with her and we're planning on organizing fun activities for her and the old folks in our neighborhood.  :)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 09:34:22 AM »

My family has a strong history of Alzheimer's Karen, I sure feel for what your going through.
I sure hope it's just a complication from meds.
It's so frustrating for them, while most times dementia is a gradual decent, my Grandfather had it but we didn't know it was so slight. Then one afternoon he had a heart attack out in the garden, and when he can through at the hospital and woke up, the Alzheimer's had progressed by years, and the Pop we knew was gone. Over night his mind was gone.
He went from forgetting where he was going to not even knowing who we were.
He lived for 3 years after that, and all his siblings had it. One of his sisters lived for 8 years like a baby with it. :::(((
My heart goes out to you and your family.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 09:30:41 PM »

::silly::Hi Karen,

You do sound a little more optimistic.  Our prayers will be that the tests on the 2nd of August will show it's a medication problem, but if it is Alzheimer's, we can always lend an ear if you need to talk.   ::nod::

If it is Alzheimer's, a friend of mine, her husband had it.  They would go for 'long walks' (about 4 blocks total) in the fresh air.  The doctors seemed to think it helped at that time ... about 25 years ago.  Now, just this past year, they have come out and said (in general with Alzheimer's patients) it seemed to help them.  Just a thought.

Please let us know how the tests come out.   |hugs|

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up