Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: future chin owner with some questions  (Read 4167 times)

dfreer55

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
future chin owner with some questions
« on: February 06, 2008, 10:37:25 AM »

My first question is about either getting a male or a female.  I think I understand what females do (spray pee on you and leave heat plugs around once they go into heat).  And for the males it the hair rings.  My question is about the hair rings, what does removing the hair out consist of, do you shave that area or do you just try and unravel it from around his penis?  And my next question is about a reputable breeder in the chicagoland area or somewhere in indiana.  The ones that I know about are Andeway Chinchilla Ranch which is 3 hours away from chicago and really out of the way since I have no reason for going that way but I heard he was very good.  The next two are in Ohio and I could just pick them up when I am visiting someone in Ohio so does anyone know if these two websites are good  http://www.sewardbreeders.com/index.html and http://www.chinchilla4sale.com/  I'm sure I will have some more questions and that you for your responses in advance.

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
Re: future chin owner with some questions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 11:05:11 AM »

Females only spray when they are frightened. Out of my 5 females, I only had one that sprayed me a couple of times (its not fun, especially in the face, but hey, all you can do is laugh). With the advice of everyone here, I was able to break her of that easily. I have only personally found one mating plug, and never any estrus plugs. It isn't something like poo that they leave all over the place. Unless you are planning on breeding, which is something you shouldn't just jump right into, hair rings in males won't be a big problem. They clean themselves regularly (both the males and females). I haven't had one yet (knock on wood!!!!). I would just take my time in choosing. Play with a couple of them and see whose personality jumps out at you. Unless you are getting a pair, the sex is dependant solely on what you would prefer. There are playful males and grumpy males, and the same with females. Keep us posted on your new chin!!!!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 01:31:40 PM »

Each chin has a different personality so it's difficult to say which sex makes the best pet.  If I had to choose a sex I would say male.

I have lots of chins available and will be in St Louis MO the weekend of Feb 29th. 
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.

dfreer55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 03:01:47 PM »

forgot to add that I am just going to get one and I don't plan on breeding so that shouldn't be a problem.  Not really relevent but hoping for a violet one.

edit: I also want a baby 8 weeks to 10 weeks old cuz I heard they are easy to connect with if you get them when they are little.

and I wont be able to get one feb 29th cuz i will still be at my apartment that won't allow it.  I will be out of my apartment may 3rd so any time shortly after that I would be able to get a chin
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 03:05:12 PM by dfreer55 »

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:34:09 PM »

I don't know where you are located, but I have a pregnant TOV violet that is due within the next few weeks, but there's no way to know what color the kits will be. I am located in MS. Feel free to email me, or visit my site:

Good luck!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)

dfreer55

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 11:32:37 PM »

I am going to be in the chicagoland area this summer but im moving from indiana so buying one from either place would be fine.  Pretty sure MS is Mississippi?  and if it is I definately won't be able to make it down there, so unless for some reason you are going to chicago at that time I don't think I would be able to get that one  :'(  but if anyone has any info if the breeders I listed are good; http://www.chinchilla4sale.com/ would be ideal since it is the closest to me but I can't find any info on that breeder.  But I stumbled across the chinchilla breeder directory and another breeder that seems like she might be good is Sherry Snyder, I am really only basing this off of the fact that she has 200+ chins for sale and experience makes a person better.  So any info on breeders near me would be greatly appreciated.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 02:26:53 PM »

Both can spray when they want to.
Removing a hair is simple, you don't need to shave anything, just pull back the foreskin and roll it off.
Some say to use some kind of cream, but I just wet my fingers with water and roll them off.
I haven't seen many as they ussually do a great job them selves, and ussually it's only with males in breeding.
Though I do have one that gets them that has never been with a female.
The thing is left there can cause infections, and / or cut off blood supply.

There are bonus points to just having 1 chin, they really make you part of the herd.
That said the seem to take care of each other in pairs, grooming each other in places one just can't reach.
Nothing wrong with having 2 males or 2 females.
Some exciting eh!
Debbie.nl.ca

dfreer55

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 05:18:04 PM »

got another question,  over the summer I am going to have a chinchilla room, but I'm going to have to move for school and I will have 1 big room, so basically I am asking if there is a retractable fence or barrier or something that is safe and actually works for chinchilla to section off a part of the room because I will need to have my computer and other things in there and I don't want my chin near any wires.  Also I found this breeder that sells chins and it's right next to my hometown, so does anyone know if this breeder is good  http://chocolatechinchillas.com/index.html  seems good but no one is going to admit to being a bad breeder.

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 05:42:32 PM »

You can look at online petstores for small animal exercise pens. It is usually like a little gate that let the animals play in the designated area. Just make sure the bars are wide enough to keep the chins from climbing out but small enough to where they can't slip through. You can also get like a used pack n' play (for babies) or playpen for pretty cheap. You can usually find them in the paper or on craigslist.com.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 09:23:29 PM »

I recomend males for pets. I don't know what it is but I think they are much more sociable with people.

Dawnna at chocolatechinchillas.com has the best violets and she is very reputable. She is in Bollingbrooke IL (sp?) I am in Crystal Lake IL although I don't do violets. I have a couple of chinchillas avalible.   
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

dfreer55

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 07:23:01 PM »

I am in Crystal Lake IL although I don't do violets. I have a couple of chinchillas avalible.   

I e-mailed you about buying a chinchilla, just sayin this on the board in case you don't really check ur e-mail.  I got the e-mail from this site fyi

Missy8964

• Newie and Chewie!!!
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Softie's Chinformational Website
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 10:38:49 PM »

if you get a male you don't have to worry about hair rings, unless you are breeding him.  They clean themselves thoroughly several times a week  - I've witnessed it and it's really weird.  But not as weird as it would be to have to pull rings of hair off your chinchillas penis.
A fun and informative chinchilla website
www.chinformation.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up