Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Where you Keep Your Chinchilla  (Read 9385 times)

Dan

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Where you Keep Your Chinchilla
« on: May 06, 2008, 04:53:27 PM »

I'm curious about where all of you devoted chin owners keep your chins? Also, if you could show a picture of your cage (how many chins per cage) and what kind of room you put them in.

I keep my chinchilla in our "music" room, which has 3 windows but hes out of the way of direct sunlight. The cage itself is about 2 1/2 feet from the ground and is a fairly tall cage. It has 1 full bottom floor and a ramp going up to a half floor and another half floor above that. The spot was best for temperature/convenience, and my Donny seems to be doing fine in the conditions.

Also, where do you let your chinchillas run around during their play times? I let mine go in the bathroom, as it is easiest to clean and my only real "chin proof" room.

Get back to me on this! :D

-Dan :::grins::
Donny Chin!

Beth

• View Profile
Re: Where you Keep Your Chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 05:14:56 AM »

Hi Dan,

I think I have the same cage you do, and your setup seems good.  However, you do know that you'll need a separate cage for the other chin, right?  At least for the first few weeks/months when they're still getting to know each other.  A lot of people use bathrooms to let their chins play in.  Others get 'play pens' from the pet store and those work well too.

good luck

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 05:37:58 AM »

Thanks Beth.
True...I have to get a 2nd cage for another, but eventually they would be able to fit in one cage right?
Donny Chin!

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 09:17:31 AM »

I adopted my girls together, introducing them can be difficult.  You need a quaranteen first, in a different room is prefered.  Some chins get along right away, some take a while.  Some take years and then finally get along, and some never do.  Be prepared to always have them separate just in case.

I had my girls in our spare room, which was chin proof, but they didn't see use enough, so recently moved to the living room so they can have more human contact.  I use a big metal dog playpen for them, and so far it's working.  Once they're used to this set up, I plan on once a week taking them else where.  My Kira gets bored,and she needs a bit of change. 

Here's a link to an album.  There's the smaller cage, and then the new cage and play pen.  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=96875&l=f8631&id=522975253

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 03:50:28 PM »

I love the cage you have and the area where you keep them. The playpen seems like a nice idea, but my chin's cage is on a carpet and I don't want him ruining it. BTW, your chins are awesome  :)
Donny Chin!

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 06:53:54 AM »

When we first got chinchillas we kept them in our front hall.  As we grew in number...we moved them to a building out beside our house (the white building).  You can see our building and chinchillas on our website.  www.4jsplantation.com
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 10:14:14 AM »

Thanks Dan, I think they're awesome too!  My area is carpeted as well.  The spare room was carpeted too, and it didn't get damaged.  The poops vaccuum up and they only pee in their cage in ther litter box.  I can't really catch my Kira, so taking her to the bathroom wouldn't work for me!  Plus, I like that the whole family hangs out together (except the cats, who get locked up when the chins are out).  It's been good for my husband to be able to see them and talk to them all night. 

Sweetnessheart, your family and chins are beautiful!  Congrats on all the awards! 

Sweetnessheart

• View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:47:27 AM »

thanks, nemue!   :::grins::
Janice and Jim

crazytank7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 12:20:47 PM »

I adopted my girls together, introducing them can be difficult.  You need a quaranteen first, in a different room is prefered.  Some chins get along right away, some take a while.  Some take years and then finally get along, and some never do.  Be prepared to always have them separate just in case.

I had my girls in our spare room, which was chin proof, but they didn't see use enough, so recently moved to the living room so they can have more human contact.  I use a big metal dog playpen for them, and so far it's working.  Once they're used to this set up, I plan on once a week taking them else where.  My Kira gets bored,and she needs a bit of change. 

Here's a link to an album.  There's the smaller cage, and then the new cage and play pen.  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=96875&l=f8631&id=522975253
Is that cage a Ferret nation cage?

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 02:22:49 PM »

I like the design of your custom A-shaped cage, Sweetness. However..is there room to fit a big wheel in there?
Donny Chin!

Sweetnessheart

• View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 03:00:54 PM »

Yes, Dan you can fit a wheel in there.  Jim, my hubby, just built a cage for "Brazilnut".  (She is a Chin Club Member.)  She bought a cage and had a wheel.  The great thing about custom cages is that you can put the shelves where ever you want them and at any length to accomodate wheels and other toys.  The wheel mounted perfectly on the back wall.
Janice and Jim

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 05:05:11 PM »

I assume it was metal, how big in diameter?
Donny Chin!

Sweetnessheart

• View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 05:16:32 PM »

The wheel she used was an 11 inch Chin Spin and there was room to spare on both sides.  The base of the cages are 24 inches across and tapers in.  The cage stands approx. 3 feet tall with a 24"x24" bottom.
Janice and Jim

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 08:20:34 AM »

I have my two chins in my room. I bought them a bigger cage. It's called the ferret penthouse cage. It's 40x24x36. And belive me they are loving the bigger cage. I on the other hand ain't getting much sleep. ::)  I had to move my beanie babies so they couldn't get at them. I have a picture of Captian Jack Sparrow on my wall right next to the cage and pooka will run up to the picture and sit there and look at him. So I told my mom that I think pooka has a crush on captian jack. :::grins:: ;) :blush2:
Quyana Shannon Seager

Sweetnessheart

• View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 10:14:31 AM »

I like Captain Jack too!   :blush2:
Janice and Jim

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up