Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chewing drywall  (Read 4537 times)

mistywhitt

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
chewing drywall
« on: May 31, 2008, 04:07:37 PM »

My chin seems to like to eat the drywall off the corners of the wall.  Will this hurt him?  Also I would like to glue some wood pieces here for him to chew instead but what glue is safe to use?

chinchilla.nikki

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla  Estates
Re: chewing drywall
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »

Hi--I would definitely say it is not a good idea to let your chin eat the drywall.  Even if it is a newer home...older homes would be worse.  The stuff that those walls are made of have to be bad to consume!!  I never use any glue for anything for my chins, not even for their wood houses.  Eventually you would have to replace your corner wall, too.  Try getting one of those "treat kabobs" in the pet store.  They are usually in the bird aisle in the store.  It is
somewhat like a skewer.  Use the solid ones, not the ones made out of chain.  You can go to my website @ www.chinchillas.org/pets/chinestates  under the cage & set up section. There is a list of safe & unsafe woods for chinchillas to chew on. You can buy these woods at your local hardware store.  Or sometimes find them in your own yard.  I use limbs from our apple tree.  My husband cuts them up.  Then drill a hole in the center & put it on the kabobs.  You can use pumice, too.  Drill a hole in that & put it on the kabobs.  It will hold a few pieces.  Then hang it in the cage & they will love it.  If you put it on the floor of the cage & don't hang it, they will potty on it, then they won't use it.   Another added benefit.....it saves your wall.  Maybe pull your cage out away from the wall, too.     Just some suggestions.   JANE
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 04:54:57 PM by chinchilla.nikki »
Chinchilla Estates******Jane, Ricke & Petra
   Caring family of chinchillas

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 05:17:55 PM »

My little guy took to chewing the dry wall behind his cage ... i thought i had the cage far enough away  ::shrug:: apparently I didnt . Soon as I discovered his antics I made sure the cage is far enough away now . I think putting chin safe wood on the corners is a good idea .

mistywhitt

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 09:18:31 PM »

he doesnt chew the the wall from his cage he does it when he is out

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »

I realize that hun  ::nod:: I was just talking about my trouble with it is all . As I said , I though chinnie safe wood on the corners he is chewing on would be a good idea . Sorry , we chin owners tend to like to talk about them quite alot .  ;)

Brazilnut

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Chloe & me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:32:26 PM »

I am having the exact same trouble with my chin, Chloe. I don't know what's gotten in to her lately, but she will nibble on anything and everything when she is out! She didn't used to do this, but she recently started chewing the baseboards in my bathroom. I've even tried laying out an apple wood stick in addition to the cardboard play boxes I set up during playtime, but she's still chewing the baseboards.  ::shrug::

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 05:32:19 PM »

Cheech is awful for it. I let her pick her own treat from the box and she shoved her head in there and took about three. So I closed the tub and she got in a mood with me, hopped on my shoulder and started chewing on the wall. When she's out she'll go behind the curtains, under the bed, anywhere where she knows it'll take me a little longer to get to her and chew, chew, chew. And she eats it! She knows she's not allowed, because all I have to say is 'oi' and she'll scurry off to do it somewhere else. She's driving me mad. That and pulling out chunks of the carpet and eating that. And she'll run around the room with bits in her mouth until she finds a safe place to eat it. :::(((

I love her!

I saw someone who had very cleverly put metal guards on top of all their skiring boards (do you call them base boards across the pond?) and along all the corners of their walls but mine are taking chunks right out of the middle of the walls...
Pages: [1]   Go Up