Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Advice for Charlie the Chin  (Read 1916 times)

SDRenee

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Need Advice for Charlie the Chin
« on: July 10, 2008, 04:04:04 PM »

::hither:: ::chinhappy::,
This is my first post.  I will soon be adopting my sister's chinchilla, Charlie, and was happy to find this site to get more information.  Here is the back story:

My sister has had her Chinchilla Charlie for a couple of years, she got him from her BF when he worked at Petco, I think Charlie was a baby. Anyway, my sister is so scatterbrained, and sadly poor Charlie has had to pay for it. She's moved a lot, and finally ended up at my mom's house, then she moved out this past month, and left Charlie behind. So my mom was left to care for Charlie, and mom is not home that often. This weekend my mom came to my house, and was playing with my babies (I currently have 2 guinea pigs, 1 hamster, and 1 large rabbit) and when she heard the pigs 'grumble' she mentioned how it was funny that when she would forget to feed Charlie for 2-3 days he'd start to make squeeky noises.......MOOOOM, you are supposed to feed him EVERY DAY!! So I can't stand it, that just made me want to cry, poor Charlie, today I'm building a new cage next to the rabbit and the pig's cage and I'm Chin-napping Charlie this weekend. My sister told me before how she'd love for him to come home with me, but I wasn't able to at the time and I knew she was taking care of him. Now I can't stand knowing this poor little guy is going days without food. I know my mom loves Charlie and isn't trying to be neglectful on purpose, she just can't care for him properly and is very forgetful.

So I guess I'm kind of looking for advice.  I've been researching all day about his housing and feeding.  He has an XL Super Pet cage, but I will be building him something different.  My other babies have very large cages, I know they need to have plenty of room, and I just don't see the super pet cage being big enough.  I'm used to building cages for the pigs and the rabbit with cubes and zip ties, my only question is:

1. How tall and wide is it recommended for a chin's cage to be?
2. Do they just need bedding at the bottom of the cage?
3. Do you keep the dust baths inside the cage at all times?
4. Can I only put wooden stuff in his cage, or can I put cardboard in there as well?

As for feeding, I was wondering:

1. Do they only need hay and pellets on a daily basis?  For my pigs, hamster, and rabbit I feed them veggies twice a day, and give them a small dose of pellets.  But from what I've read, for chin's its the opposite?  Also, what kind of pellets are best?  I know for rabbits and pigs pellets with extra junk in them are not good, is it the same for chins?  Also, I have lots of hay, is just regular hay at the bottom of the cage good?  Or do they need a special designated area for the hay? 

That is all I can think of for now.  I'll be busy this evening, I appreciate all the help!

PS: this is what my furbaby condo looks like right now.  Bella the hamster is on top, Nismo and Momo the guinea pigs have their 2x4 home in the middle, and Dori the rabbit has the 2x2x4 cage below (she is running loose around the house anytime I'm home).  I was thinking of building Charlie's cage to the right.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:16:28 PM by SDRenee »

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Need Advice for Charlie the Chin
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 05:45:17 PM »

Its wonderful that you are taking him in.  ::nod::

First and foremost...absolutely NO veggies!!!  These are very bad for chinchillas.  Even in the wild they only eat dried greens.  Their digestive system can not deal with "wet" foods and so veggies will cause diarrhea which will cause dehydration.
Now on to the other questions.  :)

1. How tall and wide is it recommended for a chin's cage to be?

The taller the better!  Chinchillas love to jump!

2. Do they just need bedding at the bottom of the cage?

Yes, if you put it up higher they will only knock it out in playing.

3. Do you keep the dust baths inside the cage at all times?

No.  This will dry out their skin and they will sleep in it.  Breathing it in on a regular basis will cause lung problems.
Just stick it in for about 15-20 mins 3 times a week.

4. Can I only put wooden stuff in his cage, or can I put cardboard in there as well?

Cardboard is fine as long as he doesn't sit there and eat it.  Occasional nibbling is fine, but eatting large amounts could cause a blockage.  Do not put anything plastic in the cage.  Chinchillas chew everything and since they can not digest plastic it will eventually cause a blockage and death.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:15:38 PM »

Good for you on the "Chin napping"!  Don't forget to give the baby a raisin from time to time, they go nuts for those!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 05:46:44 PM »

1. How tall and wide is it recommended for a chin's cage to be? Taller the better with shelves . wire shelves should only be 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch wide however they need a flat solid surface somewhere for them to rest their feet.

2. Do they just need bedding at the bottom of the cage? yes they need bedding in the bottom . It needs to be either aspen or pine ... NO CEDAR that is bad.

3. Do you keep the dust baths inside the cage at all times? no i dust my guy 2 or 3 times a week for about 10 minutes a time.

4. Can I only put wooden stuff in his cage, or can I put cardboard in there as well? make sure the wood is chin friendly.

buy food pellets that is for chinchillas only . and raisens they love raisens. they also need timothy hay or alfalfa hay depending on what kind of hay the pellet base is .

you can also get lava bites and a hanger for them the lava bites help keep their teeh down.
Pages: [1]   Go Up