Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are mixed hay cubes enough??/  (Read 7166 times)

4Leaf_Clover

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Are mixed hay cubes enough??/
« on: November 25, 2008, 08:20:16 PM »

We got hay cubes that have timothy and alfalfa all mixed together in one cube....I know some chins prefer the loose timothy hay and I have some of that too just in case....but are the mixed cubes good enough to give alone if he likes them more???

Another question: I know Timothy hay is a necessity, but what benefit is alfalfa hay to the chins?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Are mixed hay cubes enough??/
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 09:36:20 AM »

The cubes are enough on their own.

Chinchillas should get timothy and alfalfa in their diet.  Timothy is a true grass hay but alfalfa is actually a legume in the pea family.  Alfalfa is much richer in vitamins and calcium than Timothy. With that said, both do not need to come from your hay.   If you read the ingredients in your pellets the first or second ingredient should be either alfalfa or timothy.  (most feeds are alfalfa)  Typically you should feed whichever isn't in your food. 

It is important to limit the amount of loose alfalfa you give a chinchilla because too much can cause urinary problems in some chinchillas.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

4Leaf_Clover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 04:42:49 PM »

The cubes are enough on their own.

Chinchillas should get timothy and alfalfa in their diet.  Timothy is a true grass hay but alfalfa is actually a legume in the pea family.  Alfalfa is much richer in vitamins and calcium than Timothy. With that said, both do not need to come from your hay.   If you read the ingredients in your pellets the first or second ingredient should be either alfalfa or timothy.  (most feeds are alfalfa)  Typically you should feed whichever isn't in your food. 

It is important to limit the amount of loose alfalfa you give a chinchilla because too much can cause urinary problems in some chinchillas.

Thanks for the reply.

I have the Mazuri food which has alfalfa meal for the first ingrediant.

Should I do away with the mixed cubes and just give him the timothy hay since you said that too much alfalfa can be bad?  I just dont want to screw up.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 07:42:16 PM »

No I think your hay is fine.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 07:43:57 AM »

::silly::  The alfalfa/Timothy mix (because it is a mix) is usually just fine to give your chins, even if the same type of hay is in their food.  The freshness of the loose and/or cubes have not gone through the processing the pellets go through.  The more the processing of any food, the more it looses in nutrients.   The loose and/or cubed hay give your chins the satisfaction of chewing and should be kept in their cage 24/7. 

Simple rules about hay:
(1)  Always remove any left-over hay after 24 hours and replace with fresh hay.  Don't try giving your chin to much hay at one time, but make sure he has constant access to his hay.  He likes that special attention each time you bring him his hay.   :::grins::
(2)  Always remove any hay that gets wet from water or urine.  Hay will mold quickly and needs to be as fresh as possible.  Wet hay breeds bacteria!  Learn where your chin usually urinates ... place the hay at the other end of the cage.  Hay holders are great for keeping hay dry!
(3)  Always check hay just before giving it to your chin for any musty, moldy or sour smell.  If there is one ... dispose of it.
(4)  Look for any grayish spots on it ... this is usually the beginning of mold ... if you find any ... dispose of it.
(5)  Always try to get the freshest hay possible. 
(6)  Do NOT store hay in an air-tight container!  Hay needs to breath.
(7)  Always store hay in a cool dry area of your home.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

squeakie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »

Do you need to store hay in anything other than the bag you buy it in? How often should you replace the hay you buy (not in the cage) Does it ever go stale? Not moldy or smelly just stale? ::shrug:: I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.
Thanks
::silly::  The alfalfa/Timothy mix (because it is a mix) is usually just fine to give your chins, even if the same type of hay is in their food.  The freshness of the loose and/or cubes have not gone through the processing the pellets go through.  The more the processing of any food, the more it looses in nutrients.   The loose and/or cubed hay give your chins the satisfaction of chewing and should be kept in their cage 24/7. 

Simple rules about hay:
(1)  Always remove any left-over hay after 24 hours and replace with fresh hay.  Don't try giving your chin to much hay at one time, but make sure he has constant access to his hay.  He likes that special attention each time you bring him his hay.   :::grins::
(2)  Always remove any hay that gets wet from water or urine.  Hay will mold quickly and needs to be as fresh as possible.  Wet hay breeds bacteria!  Learn where your chin usually urinates ... place the hay at the other end of the cage.  Hay holders are great for keeping hay dry!
(3)  Always check hay just before giving it to your chin for any musty, moldy or sour smell.  If there is one ... dispose of it.
(4)  Look for any grayish spots on it ... this is usually the beginning of mold ... if you find any ... dispose of it.
(5)  Always try to get the freshest hay possible. 
(6)  Do NOT store hay in an air-tight container!  Hay needs to breath.
(7)  Always store hay in a cool dry area of your home.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 05:37:22 AM »

::silly::  The bag you purchase the hay in for your chinchilla should be good. 

Because of the fact I have so many chins, I keep my hay in a canvas cloth clothes hamper that is elevated off the floor and has a top cover.  The woven fabric allows the hay to 'breathe'. 

If your hay is fresh when you purchase it and you are giving it to your chin daily, I would not think it would have time to go bad as in sour, mold or mildew ... UNLESS it is being kept in an area that has moisture in the air ... such as a room that has a humidifier in use or in the bathroom, kitchen or laundry room where there is constant use of water.  You want to keep the hay in a cool dry room.

How long have you been keeping your hay and where do you store it?

My Little Jamie

squeakie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 05:05:31 PM »

It's in the bag I bought it in and it's in my bedroom closet. I've had it for close to 6 moths though. (I only hay 1 chin and it a rather large bag. He's almost through it but I was wondering for the next bag.

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »

I think I would opt for purchasing the smaller bag...I know they sell two sized where I purchase mine at. And I opt for the smaller of the bags...so I end up using it up faster. Just a thought. ;)
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 05:35:07 AM »

It's in the bag I bought it in and it's in my bedroom closet. I've had it for close to 6 moths though. (I only hay 1 chin and it a rather large bag. He's almost through it but I was wondering for the next bag.

I agree with cadillactaste, I, too, would purchase a smaller bale/bag of hay.   If you keep hay in the chin's cage at all times, I don't see how one small bag would last that long ... unless your chin does not like that type of hay.  If the hay you are using now is Alfalfa, I would try Timothy hay and see if he eats more of it.  Chinchillas can be picky and/or they can have allergies, just like humans, all chins do not like the same thing/kind of hay.  I'd try the type of your chin has not had and see what happens.   ::nod::

Keep us posted on the progress and/or problems.   :)

My Little Jamie

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »

I may have been doing something wrong then. The kibble we give the chinnies is timothy hay based. So we have been giving them alflafa hay . They gobble the timothy pellets and gobble the Alfalfa . Should I not be giving them just the Alfalfa since the pellets are made from timothy should I also be giving them some timothy hay as well.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 07:46:08 AM »

::silly::   What is the brand name of the chinchilla food you are giving your little ones?

If the food is Timothy hay based, I would give them the loose alfalfa hay or alfalfa hay cubes (some chins prefer cubes while others seem to prefer loose hay).  The main thing is that they are getting hay on a daily basis and that the 'left over hay' inside the cage is removed and disposed of daily.

You can give them a mix of both, if you prefer, just make sure the hay is clean and does not have a moldy or sour smell and does not have gray or dark spots on it (especially, if when it is wiped off, it leaves a residue on your hand. 

My Little Jamie

squeakie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 11:29:36 AM »

He eats both the hay cubes(do those need to be removed daily) and Timothy hay. how much hay should 1 chinchilla eat in a day?
Pages: [1]   Go Up