Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gus and felix fight!  (Read 1998 times)

FUSSoverGUS

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
gus and felix fight!
« on: November 21, 2008, 11:07:01 PM »

so i got a new chinchilla because i thought Gus was getting lonely.  I let them play together too early(i know im stupid) and Gus tried to assert his authority by jumping on felix, they ended up barking at eachother so i immediately separated them (i moved felix into another room) after 2 days i moved Gus's cage into that room and set them up near eachother.  I would then let the boys play at separate times taking turns.  When one(the one out) would approach the other's cage(the one in the cage) they seem too not got along.  They would nip at each other and there was much tension but then they would run away and jump off the walls as though it was playful.  well after a few days it seemed to get more mild so i tried to let them out to play together again.  at first it was ok but then they just went straight for eachother and there was a tumbling ball of chinchilla rage.  I seperated them as fast as possible but felix seemed to lose a few clumps of hair.  at first gus seemed fine but then he layed on his ramp (like he usually does to cool down, or when he enjoys the AC after running around my room).  the room wasnt hot so i got concerned.  I started massaging him behind his ears and neck (he lets me pet him but not nearly as much as he did THIS time) and i noticed he was kind of whimpering.  I think that Gus really wanted a friend and was upset and possibly a little heart broken about the fight.  There are no signs of physical injury and no blood was shed. (i sustained a scratch but ill live)  I also noticed that Gus lost a little bit of hair but really not much at all.  Felix seems fine, hes as shy as usual but he doesnt seem started or upset at all.  Am i being too relaxed about this situation?  I don't think a vet is necessary but does anyone disagree.  then finally there is the matter of Felix.  Felix was bought from petsmart which has a 14 day return policy.  I'm well within the time frame for a return.  I feel so sad and guilty about taking him back but Gus is my baby boy and i refuse to put him in harms way.  Should i stick it out and just be slower about letting them play together?  if they never get along i would prefer for felix to go back.  I DO want to get Gus a buddy.  should i be more determined and stick it out with felix or try again in a few months after Gus feels 100% secure again.  I'm even considering getting a female (though I'm not sure im ready for kits)

feedback would be much appreciated.

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: gus and felix fight!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 12:12:09 AM »

First, I will say that whatever you choose to do has to be your decision.  Only you know what you are comfortable with.  That being said, I would give Felix more time to be comfortable in his new home and with you, before even trying to introduce him to Gus.  He is probably feeling very defensive and unsafe, and would thus be pretty unlikely to accept an unfamiliar chinchilla in his environment.  I would give him time to get accustomed to his own cage, to you, and to the routine in your household.  Only once he seems comfortable with all of those things, letting you touch him, and generally behaving in a relaxed manner, would I recommend trying the introduction of the two boys together.  I think you will probably see better results with this approach.  That process will take longer than 14 days, which means you could not return him.  However, there are no guarantees that any two chinchillas will accept each other, ever.  If that happens, you would have to keep them separated for life.  So you have to decide, given those options, whether to keep Felix or try another chin.

If you decide to give Felix another shot, you could try some of the following methods to start Gus and Felix getting used to each other, that don't require a direct interaction between them.  Shared dust baths are a good way to get them to smell alike.  Allow one to bathe in dust and then give the same dust to the other to bathe in, then back to the first.  This way they get both of their smells on each other.  Also, every few days, switch them into each other's cages.  They will get accustomed to having each other's smells in their living environment.  And, of course, keep the cages close to each other, but at least 3 inches apart.  That will give them the ability to see, hear, and smell each other, but not fight.  When you get to actually introducing them face-to-face, keep in mind that a certain amount of conflict is normal.  They have to determine who is going to be in charge.  Chasing and mounting each other, and certain amount of lost fur is to be expected.  They may even pee at each other.  As long as they are not standing on their hind legs chattering their teeth, or drawing blood with their bites, then they are ok.  But keep a very close eye during these situations, as they can cross the line from normal to a problem very quickly, and if that happens, you need to be ready to separate them.

As far as a female goes, if you are not ready to breed I would definitely NOT recommend getting a female.  Breeding is a HUGE responsibility and should not be undertaken unless you are fully prepared to make the time, financial, and emotional commitments required.  There is the option of having Gus neutered and hosuing him with a female, but I never recommend surgery on a chinchilla unless it is absolutely necessary.  And again, even with a female, there is no guarantee that they would get along.

FUSSoverGUS

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 09:57:16 AM »

Abby thank you so much for your speedy reply.  Those sound like some great methods.  their first interaction had mounting and sniffing involved.  I was ignorant to let them play so early, and will def wait until the new chinchilla is 100% comfortable with me and his/her own cage.  I obviously have already had a slight bond with felix, even in the short week that he has been here.  I feel like returning him is like me giving up on him, and i feel like I have failed him.  I just feel concerned that because of their first two interactions it is unlikely that they will ever get along?  Is it possible to keep them separated for a few weeks/months until felix is completely comfortable with me and have them get along even after the two scuffles?  plus I really wanted to get another chinchilla or two because I know that naturally they live in colonies and I just thought it would be healthier/more pleasant for my Gus.  When he was whimpering and laying on his ramp i felt like i was trying to comfort my child that had just been beat up and rejected by a bully at school or something.  Like I said I like Felix and there is a bond but I've had Gus for about 6 months and he is just my joy.  I really want what is best for both chinchillas.  I wonder if giving Felix back and then trying again in the future with a different male would be better, producing better results.

I have heard that male male environments are not ideal which is also a concern.  I heard female female or female male produce the best results.  I have heard about neutering procedures but I agree it isn't worth the risk and would rather just keep a female out of the equation if I am not ready for kits.

Obviously I am not currently ready for kits and so this would have to be in the future when I have done all my homework and feel secure in moving forward with this option.  I love the idea of kits, but I worry about finding them good homes as well as the heartbreak of the little ones getting sick etc etc.  I know that it would require a lot of time and energy that I'm not sure I could commit at this point in time.

I still feel unsure.  I read in another post about someone who had their chins fight and one ripped the others ears off.  The image sticks in my mind and it I worry about my boys never getting along.  I just don't know if two boys that have started off so badly can make amends.  Is this even possible?  has anyone out there experienced two boys fighting and then after time getting along?  they were on their hind legs with teeth showing, it was no minor thing.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 02:44:53 PM »

::silly::   Jamie, this is the third thread on the same subject ... on the same chins ... you might want to combine all three.   ;)

"question about males and females"

"Gus and Felix scuffle"

and this one:   "gus and felix fight!"
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 02:51:08 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up