Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chins playing together  (Read 1397 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chins playing together
« on: December 02, 2008, 02:37:56 PM »

I recently got a new chin. I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or not. The chin, pogo that I had first, will 'hump' the chin, snowie. Is that normal. They are both male babies. When they chase each other, are the playing? :) They will eat and sleep together.

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: Chins playing together
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 07:01:47 PM »

Yes, this is quite normal.  However, I would double check and be absolutely sure they are both males.  Sometimes mistakes have been made, and you don't want unexpected chinchilla kits  :::((( 
But assuming they are both male, then you are seeing a normal dominance behavior.  One Chinchilla will "mount" another, as if they were mating, as a show of dominance.  It is also a frequent behavior seen during play.  It sounds like you have a well-bonded, happy pair of boys.

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chins playing together
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 09:41:55 PM »

Thats good to know because I was worried. I did check and as far as I could tell it looks like they are both males. I also have another question. I don't know if you know the answer or not, but the other day i found some of pogo's fur in the cage. He's the one thats more dominant. He doesn't really like to be help, but I got a closer look at him today and it looks like he is missing some fur. Should I be worried?
Pages: [1]   Go Up