Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can you tell if a chin is a boy or girl?  (Read 16619 times)

madie

• Madie
  • Appreciation points: 0
  • I have 2 chinchillas and i live on a farm.
    • View Profile
How can you tell if a chin is a boy or girl?
« on: January 17, 2009, 06:42:41 PM »

??? :-\ I fell very stupied asking but I can't tell and I want to start breeding them and I need to know what to get. :::grins::HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!
*~MADIE~*

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: How can you tell if a chin is a boy or girl?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:48:03 PM »

The male and female's genitals look very similar.  The male has a penis and an anus, the female has a urethral cone, which looks like a penis, and an anus.  The way to tell the gender is to look at the space between the genitals.  If there is a space between the "penis" and the anus, it is a boy, if the genitals are touching, it's a girl.

No offense, I am not trying to be mean, but I am thinking that if you don't yet know how to tell the difference between a male and a female, breeding chinchillas is not a good idea.  I highly recommend you take some time to research and learn about chinchillas, genetics, and breeding practices BEFORE you buy chinchillas to breed.  It's a lot more complicated than just slapping any two chinchillas together.  There are a lot of things to consider, including the time and money it can require.  Things don't always go smoothly, there can be complications with any pregnancy, and vet bills add up fast.  Plus, breeding and caring for chinchillas requires a lot of time and energy.  It cannot be a commitment that is taken lightly.  PLEASE consider taking your time and doing some a lot more research before you start breeding chinchillas.

mylittlechinchilla

• Robbie
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Tennessee Chinchilla Rescue
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 06:07:24 AM »

Good post Abby!

Yes, if you can not sex a chinchilla, you are NOT ready to breed, period.  There are many, many things to learn before you just throw 2 animals together and have babies.

Do you know these answers...
What chins are acceptable for breeding?
How long is a female pregnant?
What do you feed your chinchilla?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:25:25 AM »

::silly::  Before I even bought my first chins, I spent about 18 months researching them on the internet, the library and in magazines. 
After 18 months I figured I knew what I needed to know to raise a chinchilla ... boy was I wrong ... it's been many more years since then than I would like to admit, and I am still learning! 

It was over a year after I got my first two before chins that I started breeding ... That opened Pandora's box to a whole new line of what I needed to learn.

That year and a half was just the beginning, I still continue research and to learn on a daily basis.

To be a responsible breeder, before you go into breeding, you must be willing and able to spend the rest of your life devoted to chinchillas.

My responsibility to my chinchillas will continue until the last one has taken it's last breath.  Sound a little drastic?  Not really, that is just how I feel.

Off my 'soap box'   :2funny:

Below are pictures of a male and a female kit (If they will load.)

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 12:22:18 PM »

I would recomend just owning chinchillas before breeding. You need to learn all that goes on during a normal breeding and pregnancy and you need to know what to look for when something is wrong. Are you prepared to rush to the vet and spend hundreds of dollars and spent months hand feeding a baby every two hours, that includes during the night and during work... There is so much to learn before you even start.
    Why do you want to breed? if it is just for cute babies that isn't a good reason. Do you show? Do you know what a great quality chinchilla looks like? What are your breeding goals? there are so very many things to look into, it isn't just putting two chinchillas together. What if you can't sell the babies? do you have the room to hang onto them? You should find a good reputable breeder near you and start learning all you can. Attend shows do more research.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up