Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanting a dust bath?  (Read 2491 times)

Brucey1234

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Wanting a dust bath?
« on: February 08, 2009, 03:01:19 PM »

My chinchilla, Twizzler, he has been doing wonderful. I watch his habits and things, to make sure that they're not changing. Well... recently, he's been digging in his chips, and putting his head down, almost like he wants to roll over. To make sure that there wasn't a problem, I gave him a dust bath, just to make sure he CAN roll, if he wanted too. He can, but he continues doing this. Also, I see him wiping his mouth with his paw a lot. Another thing that kind o worried me, was I caught him chewing on his bedding. (wood chips) I thought that maybe he didn't have enough to chew on. I gave him his favorite- a toilet paper roll. I haven't seen him chew on his bedding so far, but the other problem keeps going on. Also, I almost never catch him sleeping! Even in the day, he doesn't seem restless, just not tired and giddy or excited. Any ideas?

A caring chinchilla owner- Brucey1234 ;)

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: Wanting a dust bath?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 03:06:51 PM »

Regarding the digging in his chips, he may just be doing that to clear the chips and get a space of clear flooring.  Some chins just like to do that...not sure why.  Eating his chips is fine, since it's wood.  As far as wiping his mouth, are his chin or his paws wet?  Drooling can be a sign of dental problems, and he would need to be seen by a vet.
As far as the sleeping, he is probably just waking when you are around to spend time with you.  Chinchillas are very social creatures, and need regular interaction.  It sounds like your guy is very fond of you!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »

::silly::

My chinchilla, Twizzler, he has been doing wonderful. I watch his habits and things, to make sure that they're not changing. Well... recently, he's been digging in his chips, and putting his head down, almost like he wants to roll over. To make sure that there wasn't a problem, I gave him a dust bath, just to make sure he CAN roll, if he wanted too. He can, but he continues doing this. .... 

Usually, a chin will do this to let you know he wants to take a dust bath.    ::nod:: 

::think::   Is there a reason he would not/should not be taking regular dust baths?  {I noticed you said he "has been doing wonderful".  Was he sick/injured?  If so, how long ago?  If so, has the vet said he can take dust baths now or not?}

...  Also, I see him wiping his mouth with his paw a lot. Another thing that kind o worried me, was I caught him chewing on his bedding. (wood chips) I thought that maybe he didn't have enough to chew on. I gave him his favorite- a toilet paper roll. I haven't seen him chew on his bedding so far, but the other problem keeps going on.

If he is drooling and/or wiping his mouth, he needs to be checked by the vet.  a.s.a.p. yesterday.   This could be signs of any thing from malocclusion, a cracked tooth, something stuck between to teeth (painful) or something stuck in his gums or to inflammation of the gum.  Only a vet will know for sure. 

As long as you are using pine wood bedding, it should be OK ... never use cedar or any of the 'hard woods' as a bedding for your chinchilla.

::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly::   When in doubt, check it out.   ::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly::

...   Also, I almost never catch him sleeping! Even in the day, he doesn't seem restless, just not tired and giddy or excited. Any ideas?

A caring chinchilla owner- Brucey1234   ;)

Chinchillas usually sleep lightly and will awaken by the least little noise.  If what he sees when he awakes interests him, he will stay awake to investigate or want to join in on the fun.   This is normal.   :::grins::
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Brucey1234

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »

Thanks everybody. Um... about him doing wonderful, I just said that because we have only had him or one month, and he was settling in well. That's what I meant. He doesn't have and vet back round. And no, he is not drooling. If you read my other posts, I can't seem to get him to let me check his teeth. He doesn't have anything wet o his paws, so maybe he's just itching? Something I did notice- (I feed him pellets with my hand, so he thinks that they're treats) and when he chews, he throws his head back and stands on his back legs, and chews. Is this a problem. I only saw it once. Was he maybe performing a trick for me? Thanks so much! ;) 

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 09:44:14 AM »

::silly::  Hi Brucey1234,

When you start a new post, it's best to give a little background information ... there are literally thousands of people that belong to this forum and/or to the Chinchilla Club ... no one can remember everything everyone posts, or take the time to research all the posts each person has made everytime the person starts a new thread/post ... if they did ... they would never be able to get off the computer.   :)   Just as an example, look at the number of posts I have made over the years. (Over 1,700.)

He doesn't have anything wet o his paws, so maybe he's just itching?

He could be just cleaning off his mouth after eating, but if he does it allot, I would have an exotic pet vet that is familiar with chinchillas check him. 
IF there is a problem, the vet could catch it early and maybe help get rid of or treat the problem before it gets worse.

Something I did notice- (I feed him pellets with my hand, so he thinks that they're treats) and when he chews, he throws his head back and stands on his back legs, and chews. Is this a problem. I only saw it once. Was he maybe performing a trick for me?
A trick? Possibly, but doubtful ... this action could be dangerous.  He could accidentally let the pellet go into his lungs when doing this, while chewing food.  Doing it only once is one thing, but, if it continues to happen, he needs to be checked out.  When a chinchilla throws his head back to chew his food (this is not normal), this is usually an indication that normal chewing is not possible, or is painful for him.  I would get him to the vet to check his teeth and gums checked.

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up