Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question  (Read 4306 times)

Mike D

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Question
« on: January 25, 2009, 08:53:43 PM »

Hi everyone my name is mike and I'm new to the forum.

Little over a month ago I bought a second chinchilla and today I introduced the new chin to my other chin. The new chin "Rose" started making a noise like a turkey call to the other chin. I have never heard that noise before. What does it mean?

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:26:26 PM »

What you heard is most likely the alarm call.  In the wild chinchillas live in large colonies.  They make that sound to wanr the other members of the colony of danger, or of a stanger in their midst.  In all likelihood she was alarmed by the presence of your new chinchilla.  However, it is good if they didn't fight each other.  That means there is a very good possibility they will get along.  Just be patient and go slow with the introductions.  If they get on bad terms it can take forever for them to get past it.

Mike D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:55:06 PM »

Thank you Abby.
 How long should I wait untill I let them play together?

mylittlechinchilla

• Robbie
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Tennessee Chinchilla Rescue
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 07:43:40 AM »

Most all of my chins make that noise. 

They are supposed to be kept in seperate rooms for 30 days and no contact whatsoever at first.  Then caged side by side for at least 2 weeks so they can get to know one another.  It is supposed to be at least 6 weeks, usually longer before they should be allowed to be together.

I wouldn't leave them unattended due to a potential fight.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:51:49 AM »

I am not sure what you mean by turkey noise as I have never really listened to turkeys lol. but if it was a sound like mmm mmm mmm then it is more of a softer communication. My chinchillas will call to each other softly like that across the room. if it was a loud harsh sound it is barking and that is just a warning. The sounds your chinchilla was making may not have had anything to do with the other chinchilla depending on the sound. There is a great site that has chinchillas sounds but I cannot access the site from where I am (blocked by the filter). so hopefully someone else can link it or youcould search.

Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 09:06:30 AM »

::silly::  Hi Mike and welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum!

I am assuming Rose is a female.  How old is she?

Is your other chin a male or a female?  How old is it?

There are several varying times for isolation and introduction ... depending on who you talk to ... some are people are more cautious than others.  

In my opinion, 30 days would be a minimum time of isolation before introduction of a new chin.  Most of the time, I wait 90 days with most chins, regardless of where I got them.

One steadfast rule I have, when leaving two chins together for the first time ... I will do this only when I will be right there with them for the first 24 hours ... regardless of how they seem to be with each other.  Often, chinchillas will react differently to each other when you leave the room ... always be within hearing distance and ready to go right back into the room should there be any sounds such as, fussing, chasing and/or fighting.  If I should have to leave for any reason within the first 24 hours ... they go into separate cages.

The time between the first introduction of two chins will often vary according to the reaction of each chinchilla to the other, with each meeting.  I have found there are usually 4 reactions chinchillas have when introduced for the first time.

1)  Friendly  They sniff and after a few minutes even seem to want to snuggle or be side by side.  This is an excellent sign!  More than likely, they will get along with no problems.  This can usually be an instant and successful introduction.

2)  Indifferent  They sniff and then seem to ignore each other or just ignore each other without even sniffing.  This is a pretty good sign, they will probably get along, but I would wait until they act a little more favorable to each other, before leaving them together in the same cage ... regardless of the amount of time it might take.

3)  Sizing-up Without Contact One or both will stand and/or one or both will fuss at each other.  Standing is a way of physically being 'over'  or taller than the other chin, a way of showing/boasting size or being intimidating.  Fussing (verbally) is also a way of 'non-contact' intimidation.  In either situation, the question is ... will they ever get along as cage mates?  It's a tossup, with doubt, if both have the 'alpha chin' personality or if one is very dominate and the other is very timid.  the dominate one my even refuse to allow the timid one to eat, or in extream instances beat-up on him.

4)  Fight  One or both size each other up, then one or both start/attempt to fight.  I would never put them together again.   Why stress them out or take the chance of injury or death?   One would, more than likely, eventually injure or even kill the other one or both could die from the wounds.

Please check out Michael's Chinchilla Home Page for some excellent recordings of chinchilla sounds and the explanation of each.  
Here is the URL:     http://www.chinchilla-sounds.de/index_en.htm   
I have found it to be one of the best on the net.

Hope this helps a little.   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:10:47 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Mike D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »

Thank you all for the great info!

I got rose when she was 6 weeks old so that would make her 10 weeks. Shes just a peanut compaired to Zoe who I have had for over a year.

Both of my chins are females. I dont have the room or the knowledge to take care of a breeding pair of chins but one day I hope to.

I checked out the link you gave me and the noise she made was the contact sound. She wanted to play/get to know Zoe. 

Im going to wait 2 weeks before I let them play together. Right now there cages are side by side and both chins were talking to each other last night. So far so good! I want to make this easy on both chins so I'm going to take my time and make sure everything goes well.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:31:46 AM by Mike D »

Robyn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 06:31:42 PM »

Hi im Rose and Zoe's mom and Mike's girlfriend.  Mike was a bit off on their ages  Rose is 3 months old now we got her at seven weeks and Zoe is a girl and is one and a half.  They are now in the same room in seprate cages where we plan to keep them for several weeks.  Today they have been talking back and forth, so cute, Nice friendly sounds. I did listen to the sounds web site and Mike's "turkey" noise is the chit chat play with me sound.  Both chins were making it today.  Rose was so excited when Zoe started talking she ran around the cage doing what Mike and I call happy chinny jumps ::silly:: where they sorta jump and dance!!! I see this is a good sign.  Thank you for you help!!!  ;)

Cuddlebug

• View Profile
    • Cuddle Bug Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 02:04:53 PM »

that's called popcorning.  It's done by happy chinnies and is soooooo much fun to watch. rofl
Cuddle Bug Chinchillas<br />Riverside, California<br />cuddlbug6035@aol.com<br />Cornellia@cuddlebug.dyndns.org<br />Website:  www.cuddlebug.dyndns.org

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 04:27:44 PM »

::silly::  Sounds like you are going to have two very happy and compatable chins!   ::silly::

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up