Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello to all!!  (Read 4732 times)

archinchilla

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Hello to all!!
« on: February 07, 2009, 04:19:28 PM »

Hello my name is Lauren and am new to the forum. I live in Little Rock, Arkansas and am currently in Pharmacy school. I got my first chin a little over 6 years ago, but sadly she just passed away on January 12th this year. The saddest part is I was on my way home with a new chin when i found her :(  The new chins name is smokey and he is an ebony, my old chin was Joie and she was a standard grey. Well I am glad to have found this site and just wanted to say hello to everyone and I'm sure I will get some great tips from you all. I also have a 15 month old blue weimaraner and a 5 year old chocolate lab along with a fiancee named Sam. I guess that rounds up the quick intro to myself.

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
Re: Hello to all!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 07:55:50 AM »

Hi Lauren....WELCOME to the Chinchilla Club!

I am sorry about your loss   :( , but you have a new little one to love   ::wub::

Join on in the FUN!!!  :::grins::
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:09:49 PM »

::silly::   Hi Lauren!  (that's my granddaughter's name also) Welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum! 

We're all good at making comments and giving advice ....   rofl

Sorry you lost your first little one, but glad you have a new one to make it's own place in your heart.   :)

I could never be with out my chins ... they bring so much joy to your life.   They can make you laugh, even when you don't feel like laughing.    :D

::wave::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

archinchilla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:17:37 PM »

yes these little guys can bring so much joy. problem is right now my little guy doesn't like me to well because i'm having to give him meds twice a day. I do laugh at him every time i go to his cage because he will look for that syringe and if he can't find it he is soooo happy to see me but as soon as that syringe comes out he is gone! hopefully only a few more days of meds and all that will be over.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:45:57 PM »

::silly::   You might consider making sure you can take a little extra time with him when it is time for the meds.  Also, I would give him a treat for being such a good little chinnie and taking the meds each and every time.    Who knows ... he might start looking forward to the meds.   :D   Dried papaya, dried rose hips or a Cherrio or bite size mini wheat all make good treats.   ::nod::

::wave::   Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

archinchilla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 04:33:40 PM »

yeah this morning he found his treat in my hand as he was trying to get away from the medicine and he looked up at me like lets just skip the first part and go for the goodies  :::grins:: much to his disappointment he got both. I have always used treats from the pet store because i was never really comfortable with anything else besides a raisin every now and then. I guess that's because i didn't really trust myself. what other things can you use as treats?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:36:28 PM »

::silly::  Treats ...
Caution:  When changing to or trying different treats, try each new treat for a week (unless he has a bad reaction from it) before introducing a new treat he has not had before ... this will allow you plenty of time to know what he likes and/or has only good reactions to, before trying the next new treat.  Make note of those treats he should not be given again and post the list near the cage.

Acceptable treats:
raisins, cranraisins (dried cranberries), dried papaya, dried rosehips, small piece of fresh papaya, a few nibbles from a fresh banana, (I don't use dried banana chips, unless I make, them because most that are 'ready made' in stores have to many preservatives added), 1/2 of a bite size mini wheat (not frosted), an animal cracker, a Cheerios, a kernel or two of fresh steamed corn (pet grade corn is not good for chinchillas), dried or toasted bread (about 1/8 of a slice)

No-No Never treats:
No nuts, of any kind ... their system is not made to digest the natural oils in nuts and it will, usually, eventually cause a fatty liver that can kill your chin.
No meat or meat byproducts (such as rawhide bones) ... their system can not digest these and will usually kill a chin within 36 to 48 hours.  Chinchillas are vegetarians!
No high acid fruits or veggies (such as lemons, limes, tomatoes)
No fruit or veggie that is grown with a pit in it (such as a peach)
No fried foods of any kind
No high sugar content foods ... chinchillas can be/become diabetic

*** No large amounts of anything ... keep in mind the size of a chinchilla in comparison with your size ... to you a raisin is small, in comparison, a raisin to a chinchilla is about what would be the size of a baseball to a human. ***

There are many others treats, I am sure others could list some good treats and "no-no" treats.

Chinchillas do not have to have treats.  The best diet for a chinchilla is a good, high-quality chinchilla pellet and hay on a daily basis.

A chinchilla will often consider anything a treat that is hand-fed to them by their human parent, even just a piece of hay or an individual chinchilla pellet.

A treat is something special, regardless of what it is ... who is giving it, why it is being given, and how it is given, is what makes it a 'treat'.  Example: Hand-feeding your dog with it's regular food is a treat to the dog just because you are taking the time to do it ... same with a chinchilla.

The time spent with your chin is not only a treat for you, but also for your chinchilla.  A chinchilla appreciates every thing you do for/with them ... un-like most humans.   rofl

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:31:05 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 05:18:09 PM »

Welcome, JoAnn gives great advice..her posts say it all
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

archinchilla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 10:03:45 AM »

Thank you so much for all of the advise JoAnn I will try some of those ideas out over the next few months and see what he likes!!!!  :)

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 12:46:19 AM »

Well hello and welcome to the forum .
Pages: [1]   Go Up