Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Employee at pet store tried to tell me I got my chin from a puppy mill place...  (Read 2266 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile

Um-mm You GOT to be kidding me! The breeders I got my chins from shows them...and also paid my membership for the chinchillaclub.com so I could have access to ALL the features here for a year! Like they know where THERE chins come from. I even got papers with my chin. And had all his ribbons that his chins won on display. And his chin room didn't smell in the least and they were well cared for. And were ready to come to the doors for attention. None ran away...And when the doors opened they waited to be picked up. Not trying to make a mad dash anywhere. I was impressed!

So I find it hard to say it was in the classification of a puppy mill... :flames: Oh and she stated he was obvious Amish...Which THEY definitely were not... ::)
~Darlene

Dave

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile

I would just forget about what she said because people at pet stores generally have no idea what they are talking about. If you got your chin from a respected breeder then you have nothing to worry about. Also last time I checked, you cant get a chinchilla at a PUPPY mill ::)

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile

This made me giggle. Most pet stores do not even know how to properly care for a chin . I have offered gentle advice to my local one . Most chinchillas in pet stores come from "puppy mill" type places or are the ones that  breeders with no scrupples find something wrong with.

Both of mine originally came from Pet Stores but I did not buy them myself. One was from my hubbies sister . She got Chuppers and 2 months later just decided she didnt want her anymore. Meekeemoo came from a well meaning family whos daughter was off to college and they didnt want to take care of him anymore. Personally I will not buy one from a pet store ever.

Joann and Abbey live close enough to me that if I ever want another one I will happily go through them. Pet store people tend to make me either laugh or make me sick. At least the pet store here tends to listen to me when I give them advice . They really should hire me to take care of their rodents .  ::nod::

cadillactaste

• View Profile

I would just forget about what she said because people at pet stores generally have no idea what they are talking about. If you got your chin from a respected breeder then you have nothing to worry about. Also last time I checked, you cant get a chinchilla at a PUPPY mill ::)

I'm hearing ya...But to make my son think that a 12 inch wheel was appropriate. When I wish to get our chin an exercise wheel or saucer...still trying to decide which one will be best for our chin...But I told my son he could pick out anything appropriate...we both want an exercise wheel for him. If they had the right size and appropriate one there I would have purchased it... ::)

Our breeder I am not real up on breeders...but he shows...and has ribbons...and thought enough to buy me a membership...Which makes me think they are trying to run a good upstanding business. I learned from a mom and pop pet store that he's been raising chins for EVER! So...he's not someone just starting out...but knows something of them from what they had to say.
~Darlene

Dave

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile

When I wish to get our chin an exercise wheel or saucer...still trying to decide which one will be best for our chin...But I told my son he could pick out anything appropriate...we both want an exercise wheel for him. If they had the right size and appropriate one there I would have purchased it...

I seem to swear by this place but it is where I bought my wheel and it is great! I bought mine at Quality Cage Co. Here is the link:http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=129_142_143_144       I would go with the 15" for chinchillas grow and it is better to buy wheel that he wil grow into rather than out of.

cadillactaste

• View Profile

Thanks Dave...I totally agree on getting one that will last his entire lifetime verses having to worry about not upgrading soon enough.

Thanks for the link as well... ;)
~Darlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up