Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm giving a chin presentation and I need some help  (Read 3300 times)

archinchilla

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
I'm giving a chin presentation and I need some help
« on: February 15, 2009, 09:54:11 PM »

I am taking a class, Vet Pharmacology, and we all have to give a presentation on an animal and at some point relate it back to pharmacy. I of course decided to talk about the wonderful chins!!!!  ;)

I do however need some help and was hoping that I could get some suggestions from everyone.
I am looking for some just fun facts about chins or anything that you think would be some good information to share.
Keep in mind that besides my friends in this class no one even knows what a chinchilla is.
Also I am looking for some awesome pictures....... I know there are a lot in the photo gallery but I would like to get your OK to use your chins pic in my presentation.
If you can help in any of these categories please let me know and if you have some great pics you can send them to my email if you like ( laurenbriggs@sbcglobal.net )

Thanks

Lauren

archinchilla

• View Profile
Re: I'm giving a chin presentation and I need some help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:29:51 PM »

Ok I know that you guys have tons of little chin facts that would be great in my presentation   :chin:

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 05:30:23 PM »

Well you can say things like they have to have sand baths, their fur is so think they can't get fleas because the fleas suffocate near the skin. That if they get damp they can get fungus, I guess you could relate that back to pharmacy because you have to use an anti-fungal powder.
Their kits are born fully furred and with their eyes open which is very rare.
They don't have a proper species classification as far as I know, because they're not rodents (because they're not omnivorous i.e. can't eat meat) but they have continuous growing incisors...
There's lots more. :::grins::

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 08:18:26 AM »

I love the way they use their hands and their tiny little thumbs.
A recording of the diffrent sounds they make and what each one means might be nice too.
Sandy

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 03:56:45 PM »

To relate back to pharmacology, you might talk about how chinchillas are affected by different medication types and how the symptoms shoudl ebtreated; for instance, what antibiotics can do to their digestive system, and how to prevent problems, or how anesthesia can be dangerous to them because it reduces their ability to regulate their body temperature.  Only certain gaseous anesthesias are recommended for use on chinchillas: isoflourane and ceboflourane (excuse the poor spelling) are the safest.  There is also research being conducted on how vitamin C and various other vitamins and trace minerals can be used in the prevention and treatment of various problems, like heart murmurs.

archinchilla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:10:22 PM »

;) thanks guys for your input i will most definitely use your suggestions  ::thumbsup::

the little fun facts like 
       what color should their teeth be??? they all would think white but oh how they are wrong.
       Can they get fleas... (thanks for that one, i didn't think about that)
       Can they tell when its that time of the month???? still up for discussion on that one.... i think it is an interesting idea (thanks JoAnn)

if you think of some or even just funny things that they do I would love to use these as fillers and class participation thanks for the help so far!!!!!!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:24:56 PM »

::silly::   Check out my website ... lots of things on there that are interesting, informative and some are just down right funny.  Check out the Cartoon Section especially.  You can use any of the pictures in your report to the class, just let me know which ones you want. 

http://www.luvnchins.com/AChinsPointOfView.html  (this one has 3 pages to it)
http://www.luvnchins.com/ChinCartoons.html
http://luvnchins.com/ChinToons2/index.html
http://luvnchins.com/ChinchillaToons3/index.html
http://www.luvnchins.com/2007MCBANationalP2.html  (bottom half of the page)

::wave::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

archinchilla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 06:39:17 PM »

::rosesforme::  JoAnn thank you so much for your website information and for letting my use your pics. I actually think I ran across your site when I was searching for chin info to put in my presentation. You have got a lot of great stuff on there!!!! The presentation is not until April 16th I'll let you know how it goes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up