Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pee Spraying with a new chin  (Read 2605 times)

Camogirl83

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Pee Spraying with a new chin
« on: February 26, 2009, 04:38:50 PM »

I have two female chinchillas and they both get along well. Last month I was given a large cage for free and converted it to a "chin mansion." When I did this I decided to get another chin because I had been wanting one and this cage is 6ft tall and plenty big enough for 3 chins. When I introduced the new girl, Kiwi,to my chins my older chin, Tephra, was ok, but my younger one, Breakbeat, fought with her and they started spraying pee at eachother. I immediately put them in separate cages. The next night Kiwi sprayed pee at me when I went to pick her up. After I washed my hands and tried again she let me and all was fine with us. I didn't interact her with the other chins. The next night I tired putting Kiwi in with Tephra and I kept Breakbeat in the extra cage. They seemed be be okay. Tephra is the kind of chin that is scared of her own shadow, so they seemed for afriad of eachother rather than confrontational. The next night when I went to pick up Tephra, she sprayed pee at me; Something that she has only done once to me a long time ago when she got into some place she wasn't supposed to be and didn't want to leave. I left her alone and took Kiwi out to meet with Breakbeat in a neutral place, my bathroom. Immediately Breakbeat tried to bite at Kiwi's face and then when Kiwi tried to run away she ran after her and started to....like....hump her. (I questioned myself and had to check their sexes! Female!) ::shrug:: I got them apart and tired to put Kiwi back in the cage with Tephra but when they saw each other they started trying to nip at eachother faces, so I took Kiwi out and put her back in the single cage and Breakbeat back with Tephra.

I really wanted to have the chins altogether in the new big cage. Any suggestions?
Is pee spraying normal? I have never heard of it before.
What about the humping?
I don't have the space to put the cages they are in next to eachother and I know that is the best solution, right? Should I reorganize my room so I can do this? Is that my only option?
Someone told me to put them in a small pet carrier and sit them on my dryer while it is on. She said they will bond in the "unfavorable" conditions. Is this true?
Please help! Thanks in advance for your help!  ;)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Pee Spraying with a new chin
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 09:39:40 AM »

:flames:   Someone told you to put all three of your chinchillas in a pet carrier and put it on top of the dryer with the dryer going!?!   :flames: 
My personal opinion: Any one that would purposely endanger and/or stress a chinchilla does not need to have the honor of even touching one, let alone owning one!   ::tickedoff:: Sadistic *&%$# !!!  Sorry folks, but I can not tolerate someone being mean to a chinchilla.

Chinchillas stress easily and can become physically sick from stress.  They do not usually travel well due to the sensation of movement, you can imagine what the vibrations of a dryer would make them feel like.

Heat is not good for chinchillas.  They can have a heat stroke very easily and die from it.  Chinchillas should be housed in a nice quiet pleasant environment with the lest stress possible.

All chinchillas have their own personality, no two are alike.  As with human personalities, chinchilla personalities can also conflict with each other.  It is rare, but it does happen.  If two strong personalities are put together and both are determined to be the alpha (#1) chin, it can end with a violent fight and even death. 

Chinchillas often require a long, slow introduction in order for them to have a chance to get along with each other.

Chinchillas can be very territorial when it comes to the living area, especially the females. 

The males seem to be more territorial when it comes to their mate and/or any female that is in season.  They have been known to fight to the death for the right to breed a female, even if neither male can get to the female in season that is in question.

There are several solutions since one seems to get along with both.  You might try keeping the 3rd chin in a separate cage and let it and the one that gets along with it have playtime outside of the cage so that it will not get to lonely.  OR Let those two have the new big cage and the other one have the smaller cage.  OR Let the one that gets along with both have a privilege of having a permanent home in the big cage and swap the other two separately back and forth between the big cage and the small cage.   

Chinchillas can also be vindictive when they feel they have been punished unjustly.  (Maybe Kiwi felt it was not her fault and that you should not have stuck her in the small cage alone ... they do have their own ways of 'payback'.)   :D 

Spraying is a way female chinchillas protect their young in the wild.  It is used when in dangered or frightened or ticked off. 
Pee fights are not unusual between females when they invade each other's territory or bring question to having to share something one already has claim on.  Apparently BreakBeat does not want to share Tephra with Kiwi.

Immediately Breakbeat tried to bite at Kiwi's face and then when Kiwi tried to run away she ran after her and started to....like....hump her.

Apparently, Breakbeat is not going to accept your new chin, Kiwi.   I would not chance putting them back together for fear they will cause damage or death to one or both.  It appears both are wanting to be the alpha chin.   Humping between two chins of the same sex is not sexual, but a way of trying to show dominance.

I got them apart and tired to put Kiwi back in the cage with Tephra but when they saw each other they started trying to nip at eachother faces ...
  I would think, at this point Kiwi was still 'in the fighting mode' and had not had a chance to calm down, Tephra probably sensed this and was just trying to defend herself from what she sensed from Kiwi at that moment.

so I took Kiwi out and put her back in the single cage and Breakbeat back with Tephra.

Tephra and Breakbeat have been together and know each other well, so Tephra probably still felt safe eventhough Breakbeat might have still been a little upset.  Tempra knew Breakbeat is/was not a real threat to her, she did not know this for sure about Kiwi.

::nod:: Glad you ask first, instead of putting your precious babies on top of the dryer.   ::)

::wave::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:56:13 AM »

Yes a month is not very long in the life of a chin.
Take your time and let them all get used to each other scents & sounds.

I had 5 females in the one cage , 3 adults that I added 2 kits with. They were together for 4 months when I sold one of the kits. Well 2 of the 3 adults turned on the last kit and I had to take her out.
You just never know with chins.

You can keep trying, giving them breaks in between, but you may have to resign yourself that they will never get along.
Like Jo Ann said you don't want to stress them and make them sick, so let the chins decide.

You can never have too many cages.
 ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

Camogirl83

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 10:53:42 AM »

I thought that this sounded odd and horrible, that is why I questioned it! This girl is a hobby breeder in VA, that I met. I will pass along your concerns!

In your message you said: Apparently, Breakbeat is not going to accept your new chin, Kiwi.   I would not chance putting them back together for fear they will cause damage or death to one or both.  It appears both are wanting to be the alpha chin.   Humping between two chins of the same sex is not sexual, but a way of trying to show dominance. (Sorry I am new at this and don't know how to do that neat quote thing you did! :))

So I should just give up trying then? I really don't want to have two cages. I know "the more cages the better" but I really like this new cage and I am not fond of the old one. I don't have the money to get another right now; This big one was free and I only paid $35 to make it chinny safe.

It was also reccommended to me that I get another chin to help the problem. (Not that I can afford this right now.) She said that the other two will bond and then the four will get along. Granted this is coming from the same lady that told be about the dryer, so......  ::shrug::

Right now I have these two cages next to each other and all seems to be fine, but I let them out at different times. I haven't dared try letting them out together.

Thanks for the advice! ;)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:31:12 AM »

::silly::  When you want to do the "quote thing" ... when you go to post it you can click on the "Insert Quote" that is in the top right hand corner of the other person's post, IF you want to quote the whole post ...
BUT ...
IF you want to only quote part of it: When typing your post/reply you will see a little icon among the other little squares, that looks a little yellow box, shaped like the ones in a cartoon.   It should be located right above the   :D  character.  Click on that box ... You will get a "quote" and a "/quote" (but they will be inside little []s instead of quotations) 
Copy what part you want to quote, click on the area between the two sets of [] []s and paste it ... when it shows up, it should show up in the blue box and look like this: 
(Sorry I am new at this and don't know how to do that neat quote thing you did! )

Adding another chin may just compound the problem ... what if it doesn't get along with one or more of the other ones? 
Granted this is coming from the same lady that told be about the dryer, so...... 
    ::shrug::  Need I say more?   ::shrug::

::think:: 
She said that the other two will bond and then the four will get along.
    ::think::

If you do not like someone, will adding another person to the group MAKE you like the person you do not like?   :doh:
 And what happens if it does not work?    :-\    Sounds to me like someone wants to sell more chinchillas.    ::think::

If you do not want to have a second cage, you more than likely do not want to have 3 cages ... this would be a possibility when bringing in another chinchilla to add to the already unhappy group.  I would work on trying to let these three get along (it may take a long time, and then again, all three may never get along) instead of adding another chinchilla.

::wave::   Jo Ann
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:34:04 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

Camogirl83

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 03:07:11 PM »

Thanks for letting me know how to quote!  ;)

Sounds to me like someone wants to sell more chinchillas.

I did not plan on adding another chin. I just posted it because it was the other advice that she gave me when I didn't like her dryer idea. And she was trying to get me to take one of her all whites.

Thanks again for all the advice and I will post if anything happens! Have a great day!  ;)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 08:37:42 AM »

::silly::   From what you said,
(Not that I can afford this right now.)
I did not think you were planning on getting another chin ... often I will go a little more into detail and/or explain all options, pro and con, because so many people do not post when they have a problem, but will read the posts on that subject.  What may be a 'given' or a known fact to you may be the answer/option to the question someone else may have that is reading the post. 

::howdythere::   Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1]   Go Up