Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Desperately need advice on a new cage mate  (Read 2223 times)

ashleexox

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Desperately need advice on a new cage mate
« on: March 03, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »

Yesterday we were pretty shocked to wake up to the unexpected death of the white mosaic half of our chinchilla pair. Both of our chinchillas were almost four years old. Right now our standard gray Chico is a little sluggish, but still eating and drinking as before. He is healthy and hasnt started any fur chewing from what we've seen. We put a teddy bear in for him to cuddle with in order to help him cope with the loss as much as possible, and we're doing what we can to keep him entertained and active.

I have done some research on the death of cage mates, and so far he seems to be doing alright in comparison. I was wondering if it were a good idea to try to get him a new cage mate in order to fill the void, as he has always had one. If so, how long is ideal to wait? I dont want to wait too long, but I dont want to tack on one stressful situation after the other. Also, Ive read mixed reviews on the age of a new cage mate. Should it be a younger one or one as close to his age as possible? Some say it will be easier to combine an adult with a younger chin, and others say it's ideal to find one close in age :-\
And advice would be very helpful !
Thanks.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Desperately need advice on a new cage mate
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 08:17:47 AM »

::silly::  Before you get a new one, I would want to know why the other one died.  If she died of something contagious (like Giardia), you could be condemning the new chin to a certain death. 

Since the cause of her death is in question, I would (1) watch the male carefully, especially water intake, amount of food eaten and what the poop looks like (2) clean the cage and sterilize everything in it (3) dispose of any food or hay on hand and replace it with new.

Usually, when one dies, I strongly suggest that everything in the cage, as well as the cage, be sterilized and anything that is porous (like wood) be replaced as a precaution only.

How will your chin that has just lost it's mate react to a new chin?   ::shrug::  This is one area many answers are true.   ::nod::   Each chinchilla has it's own personality.  Each one may react differently to the same situation and to the new chin you introduce to them. 

Some prefer to stay alone, others prefer company. 

Some will accept another mate while others will kill a new one when introduced (to soon or to late may not make the difference). 

Some will accept a kit or a young chin, while others may even kill it. 

A slow introduction is in order, regardless.  Play times together, but separate cages until you are sure they will accept each other.

If it were your female that is still living, I would suggest a kit or very young chin.

It being your male that is still living, maybe a young male. 

If you want him to have a female mate ... I would NOT put a female in with him that is under a year old.  You do not want to get a female pregnant that is under a year old.

Is it ever to soon or to late?  Yes, that can be a factor ... one that can not be answered until you try. 

I have had many that can't stand to be alone and will readily accept a new cagemate.   

While other times, I have had chins that take a month to several years before they will accept a new cagemate.   

And some that will not accept a new cage mate - ever.   This one is the one to be cautious of ... the 'nonacceptance' can be anything from ignoring the new cagemate to killing the new cage mate.

Lots of things to consider ... most of which are strictly trial and error with allot of supervision and patients.

Sorry I could not give you a more exact answer ... but I don't think anyone can, without being right there to see the reactions.

We can share our own experiences, but, to know for sure what your one male chin will do is unknown.

::wave::   Jo Ann
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:24:26 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up