Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mosaic Chins...SIGH...  (Read 2450 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Mosaic Chins...SIGH...
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:12:22 AM »

For those of you with Mosaic chins...I drool...they are one of the most stunning colors in my opinion...Don't get me wrong...ALL chins are adorable...but something about the mosaic ones really make me stop and admire the colors.

We've got a violet one...and he's just darn tootin' cute...and we have a standard grey that's not weaned. To help us tell them apart it's the only two colors the breeder had available at the time. The mosaic was sold...As was the black velvet that my son was smitten over. But all and all he agreed they were all just so adorable and cute...to have any  out of the bunch was just as great!

They remind him of how soft our collie was he told me last night...It's been three years since we had to put him down... ::cry222::: He was the kids first dog...we've two bulldogs...had the one when we had the collie...the second bulldog came after we lost the collie and my son had such a hard time with it. But the dog refuses to sleep anywhere but where I am...and he wanted a pet for his room...he sleeps like the living dead...so once asleep the chins doesn't bother him at night. He said he actually sleeps better knowing he is in there with him.

But off topic...sorry... back to colors...I'm learning there are so many more than I thought there were! Geesh...They are just all so beautiful. [I doubt I'll ever have a mosaic.] I guess our breeder has a waiting list for them. And we'll only have two...hubby already sat us all down and said...NO MORE PETS!  ::)
~Darlene

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mosaic Chins...SIGH...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 03:35:21 PM »

My hubby has told me repeatedly no more pets . Just not more . Its actually his fault we have so many lol. The rats are the biggest issue. I love them so much . I did not want 14 of them. We had a litter last year on purpose. We wanted hairless rats and we got some out of it . However the ones that were just standards no one wanted. They were all females and I really did not want them either but when we had the chance to get rid of them He refused .

He just did not like the idea that they could possibly end up as feeders. I dont much like the idea either however snakes must eat too. I personally couldnt do it but I know everything must eat. We didnt know if that is what they would be bought for . I know the hairless and rex went as pets I sold them personally. He just couldnt do it SO I ended up with 5 extra rats I didnt want. He isn't the one that takes care of them lol .

So he asks why arent we breeding any more . I said because You do not want to let go of any of them. Fine no more pets . Then this past weekend we go to the pet store for supplies and end up coming home with 4 mice. Cute little buggers but he fell in love with them spinning on their wheel. UGH . NO MORE PETS hehehehehe. Bleh I love them all .

There was a pretty little Mosaic chin at the pet store we shop at . They finally sold her but she was there for months . I had to look at her everytime we went up there . I didnt do the poke poke touchie feelie thing like most people do . I just looked I know how chins feel . But she was a pretty one . I would never buy from a pet store though. not even one that makes an attempt at proper care like this one.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 05:00:06 AM »

Your husband was right...On a snake forum I go to...a few will purchase rats as "pets" to only make a meal for their snake. I find that just wrong! I only feed f/t [frozen then later thawed] mice at the moment. Due to our snake is still a hatchling. I consider it processed food for snakes. I mean they are dead each sealed in a tiny ziplock baggie...in a container with a lid. You can't get no more processed than that! I could never feed live. I used to have pet mice as a child...So ya I can see where your hubby thought they were cute.

I just don't see us getting any more chins...or pets either...I care for them all. And the bulldogs are high maintenance. But I love the looks of a Mosaic...but the violet we have melts my heart...and I don't feel slighted...I just love the color of the mosaic...the tinting color on the tips of the fur...to cute.

At this time...our critters is the most we've ever had. More than my husband ever had as a  child. I grew up on a farm...so I was used to lots of different animals. He is a city boy...and is a tad overwhelmed with all we have going on. But how could he say no to a chin? We've had them before and know how cute they are and what great pets they were.
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 09:19:06 AM »

::silly::  Mosaics are beautiful!  They change so gradually, you don't realize they are changing, until you go back and look at pictures made along the way.  I did an article on "The Changing Colors of a Mosaic" for the club magazine. 

Unfortunately, my husband finally learned to say 'no' ... but not until I had collection of 200+ chinchillas ... which had taken over our basement!   :D
I have downsized to 100, which I consider a huge feat!   ::nod::

My hubby started it ... :blush2: ... he got me two standard gray females for my birthday (Nov. 3rd)
A month later, for Christmas, I ask for two males ... a pink white and a black velvet (Dec. 25)
By the end of spring I had 40!  Needless to say, it was almost impossible to say 'no', they are all so beautiful.

We also have two Great Danes.   :::grins::

::howdythere::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:34:29 AM »

I wonder since I'm a member if one can find "past articles"...I would be interested in reading your thoughts on that topic.

Goodness! 200+ chins...I guess you could easily say you downsized...but 100 wow...Makes my "zoo" as my husband calls it a good laugh at being called a zoo.

Great Danes...sweet dog! When I was small I seen a brindle one at a dog show...I was so smitten with it.  But we've English Bulldogs...not near the size of dog you have. But I love them just as much. :)

I would love to get a mosaic and watch the color change...Pipe dreams...Unless my boy grows up and takes the chin with him...Then...I would be FORCED to get a Mosaic...But he's just about to turn 9 yrs. old in May...so it wouldn't be anytime soon...  :::(((  Though if I continue to buy our food from our breeder...possibly one may just be too cute that I can't possibly pass it up. But...room is an issue. Our loft is always the warmest room in the house so our bedroom is out of the question to house a cage...my son who has the chins in his room has the smaller bedroom of the two boys...and I can't switch them for my other son has a 3x5 turtle table going in his room when hubby is finished with it. And we've a snake cage in the front room...And the sitting room with all windows would be wrong for it...and downstairs is the rec room...and with the way our home fills with kids in the summer...I wouldn't feel safe with it in the basement. So...no...no mosaic for me...Though...Ferret Nation does make another cage that adapts to sitting on the cage we currently have...just reaching the top might be an issue...but there is that possiblity that I hadn't thought of... ::silly:: But I doubt I would add a later one to the two males I have...for fear of fighting.
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 09:58:16 AM »

::silly::  Yep, it's easy to find.  Go to the magazine portion of the website, sign in, then ... just key in the single word "mosaic" ... it should be the second one on the list  ... and it was The Chancing Looks of a Mosaic instead of colors.

::wave::   Jo Ann

Below are two pictures of the same chinchilla ... what looks like a standard with a white tip on his tail, then a picture of him grown.   :::grins::
This is Boomer in both pictures.  The articles show pictures of him as he is growing up.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 10:11:36 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 10:13:40 AM »

??? Wow! I would never have guessed that those pictures were of the same chin... Simply AMAZING! I'm off to go look up that article...thanks JoAnn. ;)
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 10:21:14 AM »

I had NO idea that Mosaics can turn darker...I assumed they always got lighter...WOW! That was an interesting read...It's amazing how they can change so much in color...
~Darlene

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 01:43:07 PM »

Yes that is a big change . The Mosiac at the pet store was little when they first got it and was darker and over the months I noticed it had begun to change color . The pet store people asked me why the chinchilla was changing color . I just smiled and said "it's a mosaic". Now one getting darker I have not had the chance to witness yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up