Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Safe Treats  (Read 3515 times)

gypsy26

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Safe Treats
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:12:53 PM »

I am new to owning a chinchilla and am learning as I go.  So I was just wondering what kind of treats are safe to allow chinchillas to have. 
Mom to...

2 Sugar Gliders - Damon and Thor
2 Chinchillas - Gypsy and Chin

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Chinchilla Safe Treats
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 08:27:29 AM »

::silly::  It is not necessary to give a chin any treats, but it's hard not to when you see their precious begging face ... I think little kids must learn from them.    :)

Now, to be serious...
All chins are different, each have their own personalities (like humans) and they also have allergies (like humans).
Keep a booklet/log/list/calendar where you mark down important information.  Make a list of "Can have" and "Do not feed" and keep it next to the cage.
When you give a chin a new treat be sure you give him the same one every day for a week to make sure he is not going to have any ill effects from it.  If he develops diarrhea or any other ill effect, discontinue giving it to him and make sure you list it as a "Do not feed."

Remember: A chinchilla will consider most anything you give them by hand a treat.

Some treats:
dried papaya (a good source of vitamins)
dried rose hips (a good source of vitamins)
dried macaroni
mini wheats, not sugar coated  (fiber and nutrients)
oyster crackers
animal crackers ... not very often, they contain sugar
raisins ... not very often, high sugar content  (vitamins and fiber)
cranraisins (dried cranberries)... not very often, high sugar content (vitamins and fiber)
banana ... 3 or 4 nibbles of a fresh one (vitamins)  [dried ones usually have preservatives added]
kiwi ... 1/2 of a very thin slice or 3 or 4 nibbles of a fresh one (vitamins)
yogurt ... mine like the blueberry and strawberry the best (calcium and flora for the digestive system)

Keep in mind the portion must be small!  In comparison to size to us, a raisin is small ... but to a chinchilla, a raisin is the size of a basketball!

NO-NO treats are even more important than OK treats .... NO-NO treats can sometimes kill.
Chinchillas are strict vegetarians ... not by choice, but due to the fact their digestive systems can not process meat ... meat or a meat byproduct will kill a chinchilla
Vegtables that cause gas in humans also cause gas in a chinchilla, but his system is so tiny, at the least it is very painful at the most, it can kill.
Some vegtables that cause gas are:  sweet potatoes, broccoli, beans, cabbage, onion are just a few ... there are many more.
Fruits that have a high acid content, such as, tomatoes, lemons, grapefruit, oranges, etc. are a NO-NO.
Nuts are a BIG NO-NO, a chinchilla's digestive system was not made to process the natural oils found in nuts and can cause a fatty liver over time.  A fatty liver will kill.

I am sure others can add to both lists.

::wave::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 08:44:37 AM »

Thanks JoAnn...I printed that list off...it's a good thing near the cage. ;)
~Darlene

gypsy26

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 08:53:49 AM »

Well I have 2 sugar gliders and I keep a notebook for them and I am going to the store today and I will pick up a notebook so I can keep notes on my Gypsy. 
And thank you all for the help that you have given me so far. javascript:void(0);
Mom to...

2 Sugar Gliders - Damon and Thor
2 Chinchillas - Gypsy and Chin
Pages: [1]   Go Up