Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Congress wants to ban exotic pets . Yes there is a bill being proposed.  (Read 2499 times)

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile

I am not entirely sure of the particulars . I find such things a bit hard to understand when written like this but from what I get they want to pass a bill banning all NON native animals from being kept here . This would include . Chinchillas , Hamsters, Gerbils , Some birds , Fish and reptiles.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-669

There is a text of it . I don't know about you but this is outrageous in my opinion.

hugoaowens

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile

This is bad for the economy. A lot of people will lose their jobs. I'm starting to hate the government.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins

::silly:: 

::thumbsup::  RISK ASSESSMENT PROCESS FOR IMPORTATION OF NONNATIVE WILDLIFE SPECIES.
(Still reading, but, here is one part that helps us) ... chinchillas will be 'grandfathered' according to this part:
" .... Animals Owned Lawfully Prior to Prohibition of Importation- This Act and regulations issued under this Act shall not interfere with the ability of any person to possess an individual animal of any species if such individual animal was legally owned by the person before the risk assessment is begun pursuant to subsection (e)(3), even if such species is later prohibited from being imported under the regulations issued under this Act."

SEC. 4. LIST OF APPROVED SPECIES ...
 ::thumbsup::  (B) may be harmful to the United States’ economy, the environment, or other animal species’ or human health, but already are so widespread in the United States that it is clear to the Secretary that any import prohibitions or restrictions would have no practical utility for the United States.

still reading ....

::think::   I did not see anywhere that chinchillas, hamsters, or gerbils would be included.  Did you see something some where else that makes you believe this?

... they want to pass a bill banning all NON native animals from being kept here ...

I believe this is referring to importing these animals from other countries and, in some cases transporting certain animals from one state to another.  This is in reference to animals that would be harmful to the health and well being of humans and other animals that are native to the United States and/or destructive economically.

Still, it never hurts to keep an eye on what the government is doing ... I've been shocked to many times.

::howdythere::   Jo Ann
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:03:16 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Deeliteful

• # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile

Like I said I dont understand things writen in the legal way lol . It just sounded like to me that they were trying to ban people from owning non native pets . I am not sure if this is the whole bills text or not . Then they also always add things onto Bills when they take them in to be passed. It just worries me when I see things like this. How far will it go?

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile

JoAnn...so the ones we currently have would be grandfathered...but could it pose a problem for breeders and ones getting more later  when we want to get another one in the case we lose one to death? you state the economical issues...so maybe it won't effect us later wanting more...
~Darlene

Sprinkles

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile

It would pose problems to breeders if they are bringing in more exotic species of chinchillas (are there such things?).  However, according to Section 4 List of Approved Species, even if they (let's assume we speak of chinchillas) are banned, then any import bans or restrictions would be useless and they wouldn't enforce a restriction.  Sounds like it's nothing to get all kerfluffled about.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins

::silly::  As I am understanding it, there should be no problem when it comes to chinchillas, gerbils, Guinea pigs or any animal species that are abundant in the United States at this time. 

Note: It keeps referring to the importation of nonnative wild life species, not to the breeding and owning of those that are already abundant in the United States at this time.

I may be wrong, but, it still would be good to keep an eye on the bill.    As was just said, you never know what could be added at the last moment.

How far will it go?
  As far as it is allowed to go, by the people.  Our wrights are often restricted on a daily basis ... one baby step at a time.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

kneesaa

• View Profile

That like what the NIAS is trying to do. They want 4h animals marked a long with any farm animals. So anyone with kids in 4h will have to probably have their animals micro chipped and then every time they have a show you will have to fill out paper work and if the animal gets sick you have more paper work and who knows what else. I don't know the whole thing but I'm not happy with this NAIS thing.  It's kind of scary the way things are going. But reading about this bill made me think of the NAIS thing.   
Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager
Pages: [1]   Go Up