Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Playtime  (Read 2892 times)

gypsy26

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Playtime
« on: April 26, 2009, 04:40:44 PM »

My husband let both of my chinchillas out to play while I was out earlier today and he told me that my female Gypsy chased my male Chin around.  I know that there is a 2 week isolation time period but I guess my husband didn't listen when I told him that.  Well anyways can anyone tell me why she was chasing him?  It was not in a violent way from what he described and neither of them were trying to hurt each other.  But he got them back inb their seperate cages until after he could figure out why she was doing this. 

Any help would be great.
And also please don't hate me for my husbands play time mistake of letting them play together before the 2 weeks was up.
Mom to...

2 Sugar Gliders - Damon and Thor
2 Chinchillas - Gypsy and Chin

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Chinchilla Playtime
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:38:07 AM »

::silly::  If there was no fighting or fur flying or humping, they were just playing.   ::silly::

I know that there is a 2 week isolation time period but I guess my husband didn't listen when I told him that.

The "two week rule" is different with different breeders.  Isolation is just that ... no contact between chinchillas and not even being housed in the same room or on the same floor of the building.

Isolation can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 9 months ... depends on the breeder.  The isolation period is a safety precaution that one chin is not going to infect the other chin/chins with something brought in from another herd.  This can happen with the best of breeders ... rare, but it does happen.  Why such a big difference in the amount of time?  It depends on the experiences each breeder has been through.  Most feel if there is any illness, it should show up within the two week period ... and with most chinchilla-related illnesses, this is true.  But ... there are the rare ones and the 'unknown' ones. 

Several years ago, I purchased 8 chinchillas from a well known breeder ... one of the chins I purchased was just purchased by this well known breeder from another breeder that was going out of business.  This particular $500 chinchilla became ill after being with me for only 2 days ... I took it to the vet ... 3 days later and a $700+ vet bill, I had a dead chinchilla on my hands.  After the autopsy, I found out the chinchilla has a stomach wart ... a stomach wart that is cause by an airborne virus ... one that is usually found in goats ... and never before found in chinchillas.  It has a gestation period of 9 weeks to 9 months, before it becomes apparent.  Soooo it was definitely sick before I purchased it .... and ... due to the fact it was caused from an airborne virus, it could have spread to the other chins in my herd even though they were kept in different rooms, they were still on the same floor of the house.  For the next 9 months, I quarantined my own herd ... I did not want to take a chance of it possibly spreading into the chinchilla community ... adding no more chinchillas and allowing none to be adopted ... I watched them carefully, fearing each day that one would fall ill ... after a very l-o-n-g 9 months, there were no signs of any of the other chins being infected.  And, yes, I quarantine my new chins for 9 months and on a different floor of the house.  It was an expensive lesson to learn, but the tole it took on my nerves was worse than any price that could be paid.  Anyone that knows me well knows how I am about my chins ... they are like my children, all 100+ of them.   :::grins::

The "two week rule" can also refer to the introduction period.  With many breeders that have ranch runs, the male is allowed to run back and forth in an area separate from, but attached to the cages containing the females he will be put in breeding with. This is a time they all have to familiarize themselves with each others scents before opening it up to the actual breeding time.  This is not the same as the isolation period.  Many breeders isolate for 2 weeks and use the 2 week period of time as an introduction ... often times it gets confused by those that are not familiar with the system.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

gypsy26

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 06:48:23 AM »

Well that I understand now. 
Also she was chasing him around during the playtime my husband allowed, it didn't seem violent but why was she chasing him?
Mom to...

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:57:54 AM »

::silly::  Just being playfull ... like little children.  It can be like a game of tag ... the caution I add to this ... is to make sure the room is cool, and neither chin gets over heated by playing to long or to hard.   

A sign that a chinchilla may be over heating is the redness of the ears or being able to plainly see the veins in the ears (not normally seen) or the ears becoming warm.  Chinchillas do not perspire, so they can easily become overheated.    Do NOT put them in direct air flow of a fan ... this will make them sick.

A chin-chiller stone is good to have around (You can buy the expensive ones in pet stores or go to a place that sells tiles for the floor and purchase a tile made of granite) ... clay pots are good for this also ... keep them in a cool dry place ... or in the refrigerator ... and set them out when the chins are playing ... if you find your little one on or huddling close to it ... it is getting to warm for him/her. 

Some chins are healthier than others and can play longer.  Heart murmurs are sometimes found in chinchillas ... an over zealous playtime can kill, if one has a heart murmur.  A wellness checkup is always good for a new chin.  It can warn/caution you to any problems and provides a comparison for the vet, should your little one become ill.

Chin-chiller stones and/or mason jars filled with ice cubes and tightly closed metal lids, are also good to have around should the airconditioning or electricity fail.  If you have a central air unit, it is a good idea to have a window unit or a freestanding unit as a backup.  Heat can kill a chinchilla very quickly.  (We have 4 window units and 3 free-standing units in addition to our central air.  Our chins will be cool even if we aren't  :D)

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:01:11 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

gypsy26

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:11:12 AM »

I have everything taken care of to keep my 2 sweeties cool.  So I am not gonna worry about that for now.  And I will go out today and look around for some granite tiles or pots to place them in if they get overheated.  I also have a chin chiller stone.  I got it with Chin when I got him. 

And they have both seen the vet and thankfully they both got a clean bill of health. 
Also another question, would it be alright to allow supervised playtime in my bathroom until I get my house chin proofed?
Mom to...

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:55:52 AM »

::silly::  The bathroom is the easiest room to chin-proof in most cases.  Closing all bedroom doors and closing off any openings in to other rooms and using the hallway is also a good option. 

Cardboardboxes with cut-out windows and doors are always fun for them to play, run through and hide in (remove any metal staples first) ... paper bags, Kleenex boxes, round oatmeal boxes are all a delightful set of playground equipment to a chinchilla.  Empty rolls of toilet paper or paper towel rolls are tug of war toys for chins.   ::)

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

gypsy26

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:42:44 AM »

That is good to know because i have a roomy bathroom and a long hallway so they could play for hours between the bathroom and the hallway. 
And I would be there to supervise and I have my toilet already chin/sugar glider proofed because I have 2 of each.  But they all bring so much joy to me and I love them all equally.  So they would not get into the toilet and that is a relief. ::silly:: :::grins:: ::silly::
Mom to...

gypsy26

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 12:40:38 PM »

Well since they have already had playtime together and have a clean bill of health from the vet is is alright to allow them to start living together?  And I am reading everything I can find on chinchilla mating and I seem to have everything in order and have since gotten a new cage with closer bar spacing.  So mom and kits will be alright once they are born.
Mom to...

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 06:57:57 AM »

::silly::   Where did you purchase your chinchillas?   
How old are they? 
What colors are they? 
What colors are in the background of each chinchilla? 
Can you post a picture of the new cage and it's dimensions? 
What is the distance between the bars (vertically and horizontally)? 

Please read these articles Do You Have What it Takes?   ::think::  *Nursing & Damage Control   :o   and The First Signs Of Trouble   :-\  at: http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/
Also:  Breeding 101 at: http://www.luvnchins.com/Breeding101forBreeders.html

::think:: After you read them, you may know the answer to the question you ask ...  :)

::wave::   Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1]   Go Up