Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Chins peeing on the hay  (Read 7838 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chins peeing on the hay
« on: May 01, 2009, 10:28:25 AM »

I have two chins that are 6 months old. Not all the time but onces in a blue moon they will pee on the hay. I'm not sure why or if other chins do this. I keep the hay on one of the shelves. Theres always a lot of hay up there when they do it and its in the grove. I think thats the right word.

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Re: Chins peeing on the hay
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 01:23:47 PM »

You need to get a wire holder to hold the hay in. I've seen square ones you mount on the side of the cage...or the wire balls that are for "veggies" is what I use for my chins hay. You don't want them peein' on their hay...And I have read that before...You also don't want to leave it in there for 24 hours...My guys clean the hay out by morning...and again by evening...so I don't have any trouble.
~Darlene

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 03:25:37 PM »

Yeah, i'v tried hay holders but they still make a big mess with those. I try to just put the right amount of hay in there so there isn't much left over. But that doesn't always work. I could try a hay holder again.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 04:44:21 PM »

Mine still get some hay on the floor. But there is fresh that isn't able to be urinated on in the wire holder. And I just toss the stuff that falls to the floor of the shelf. That is if they haven't eaten it yet. My boys don't pee on the shelves...just the litter pan on the top level...I don't have another glass loaf dish for the bottom half of the cage...so they just pee on the bedding... :::((( I hope I'm not confusing them...I wish to get a dish for the bottom level. But I've contacted a site that makes ceramic items...for ferrets...I asked if they could possibly make a ceramic corner litter pan. Still waiting on the verdict if they can or not.
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 06:06:23 AM »

::silly::

...just the litter pan on the top level...I don't have another glass loaf dish for the bottom half of the cage...so they just pee on the bedding... 

Please do not put objects on the top level that can be moved around ... they can fall on a chin, or fall part of the way down and crush it.  Feeding dishes, potty pans and dust bath holders always need to be on the bottom floor of the cage, unless it can be bolted to the side of the cage, so that it can not be moved ... chins are much stronger than they look.

Hay holders come in many forms ... there is one that I use all the time ... it's a metal container that is hooked on to the back or side of the cage and the hay is put in the holder ... the chins can get the hay because open side of the hay holder is on the wire wall of the cage.  The holder looks like a metal shoot.  I'll try to post a picture later.  Think of a V and cut it in half vertically ... that's what it looks like from the side.  1/2 of a V with the back and sides solid and the front open to the wire of the cage.  You hook it on to the the cage with little metal lips that are attached at the top and bottom of each holder.   This makes it easy for me to walk behind the cages and put hay in each holder ... when you have as many chins as I do ... time is important with anything I do.

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 07:52:47 AM »

Please do not put objects on the top level that can be moved around ... they can fall on a chin, or fall part of the way down and crush it.  Feeding dishes, potty pans and dust bath holders always need to be on the bottom floor of the cage, unless it can be bolted to the side of the cage, so that it can not be moved ... chins are much stronger than they look.

I should have been more clear...the FN cage has two cage bottoms...the top level has a full shelf tray except for a small access hole that allows them access to the lower level which the loaf pan would not fit through. This is where I meant...It's in the furthest corner and has never been moved. But it is basically on the floor of the cage...just in the top section of the FN cage...

Does that make sense?
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 08:45:59 AM »

::silly::   Yep, it does.   As long as the hole is big enough for the chin, but not big enough to let an object go part of the way down, you should be fine.   :::grins::

Some cages have larger openings in the upper floor.  I've just heard so many sad stories about chins being hurt or killed  because a ceramic feeding dish (or something similar) was placed on the top shelf.  I guess I'm a bit paranoid due to all the stories I hear ... but it's better to be safe than sorry.  I like to repeat stuff like that. Just encase a newbie has not heard it before. 

Glad your dish is large enough that it does not fit into the hole.   ::nod::

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 08:53:01 AM »

No harm...someone else might now also know what style cage I have...and take it as you did when they read this post. So it's best to clearify it.  ::nod:: It's a shame you can't have a plastic one in there...for they have ones that do mount to the cages...that I've seen.

No...I just again tried to get the pan into the hole. The hole is large...but not that large. But...Now I am paranoid...I wonder if it would be worth trying one of those plastic litter trays and see if they chew it...verses what I now have.

~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:06:17 AM »

::silly::  I do not put anything plastic in the cages ... but, then ... I have allot more to watch out for ... I like the glass or metal dishes, they are much heavier and do tend to stay in place better.   I got a good laugh one day when one of the girls that got one of my chins sent me a picture of her glass baking dish with a little cage wire corral attached to the cage with the glass baking dish setting inside of it ... sometimes it takes a person with a great imagination to make things like that ... if it works, and it did ... I thought it was cute.    :D   You could probably do the same thing with wood and bolt it to the cage, then set the dish inside of it.   Sorry about making you paranoid. 

If you do decide to get plastic ... be very vigilant and remove it at the first sign of tooth marks on it.

::wave::   Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 09:42:29 AM »

Ahhh I see making  a box for it to sit inside...I'm following you... ;) If I get that site to make me some glass ones...I'll ask that holes be allowed so I can bolt it to the cage. ::nod::
~Darlene

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 10:22:11 AM »

I kinda know what you mean but it would be great if you could post a pictrue of your hay holder.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 09:54:23 AM »

If I get that site to make me some glass ones ... I'll ask that holes be allowed so I can bolt it to the cage.

Glass what?   ???

I'm posting a hay feeder shoot below.  A metal works place should not charge you to much to make one.

My Little Jamie

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 03:11:16 PM »

Ok, I see what you mean, thanks!

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 04:02:09 PM »

If I get that site to make me some glass ones ... I'll ask that holes be allowed so I can bolt it to the cage.

Glass what?   ???

I'm posting a hay feeder shoot below.  A metal works place should not charge you to much to make one.

Glass litter pans...but they are now going to make me ceramic ones... ::silly::
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 04:14:49 PM »

Glass what?   ???
Glass litter pans...but they are now going to make me ceramic ones... ::silly::

Don't think that will work ... glass breaks when under pressure ... ceramics break when under pressure ... the metal bolts and screws could easily cause it to break leaving sharp pieces for your little one to get cut on.   :-\

:P  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up