Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Chins suddenly not like something in their cage?  (Read 2165 times)

squeakie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Can Chins suddenly not like something in their cage?
« on: May 12, 2009, 02:20:52 PM »

My chin will not go into his "house" today. He starts to go in then backs away as if he is scared. He hasn't ever done this before and I'm a little confused. Can they instantly dislike something? Do I need to get him another house?
Thanks

Also have you ever given your chins these
 http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753318#prodTab1
Are they safe for them? My children think he would enjoy them. I wasn't sure if loofah was safe for them or not.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Can Chins suddenly not like something in their cage?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 05:22:55 AM »

::silly::   Chinchillas normally love enclosed dark places ... their natural habitat is in the crevices between the rocks of the Andes Mountains.  Usually, they feel more secure and comfortable in an enclosed area.  Something is definitely wrong.

My chin will not go into his "house" today. He starts to go in then backs away as if he is scared.
#1) I would inspect the hut and make sure it does not have a bad/unusual smell to it.  If you find nothing unusual, then you could probably mark that off the list of possible problems.
#2) What is it made of?  Wood?  Plastic?  Metal?
#3) If you see nothing and smell nothing ... my next guess would be that something/someone has scared/startled him while he was in his hut/house ... probably while sleeping ... to the point he is afraid it will happen again, if he goes back inside.    What could scare him?  Someone banging on the cage or hut (trying to get him to come out of it), especially if he was asleep at the time.  Loud noises.  The hut being picked-up and shaken. 

Have you had any company lately?   Company in our home are not allowed in the chins' rooms unless I am with them.  Food for thought...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753318#prodTab1
Are they safe for them? My children think he would enjoy them. I wasn't sure if loofah was safe for them or not.

First, the company has not listed these safe for chinchillas ... therefore ... should something happen to your chin ... the company would not/could not be held responsible.

To the best of my knowledge natural loofah is OK for chinchillas ... BUT ... I do not give my chins anything that has been chemically altered or dyed.  The natural color of loofah is brown and does not look anything like what I am seeing in the picture.  Could these be made of a 'man-made-loofah'?  If so, I would say the answer would be a definite no, in my opinion.

::wave::  Jo Ann

P.S.  Your chin would probably be just as happy with an empty paper towel or toilet paper roll (as long as it has not been scented).  I cut the empty rolls into 2" and 4" pieces ... they love to carry them around the cage and play tug of war with them.   :::grins::    If you know someone that works in a store or restruant that uses the big toilet paper rolls in dispensers ... get them to save the big empty rolls for you.  My little ones love to play on, hide in and even sleep inside of them.   ::nod::
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

squeakie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Can Chins suddenly not like something in their cage?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:09:32 PM »

::silly::   Chinchillas normally love enclosed dark places ... their natural habitat is in the crevices between the rocks of the Andes Mountains.  Usually, they feel more secure and comfortable in an enclosed area.  Something is definitely wrong.

My chin will not go into his "house" today. He starts to go in then backs away as if he is scared.
#1) I would inspect the hut and make sure it does not have a bad/unusual smell to it.  If you find nothing unusual, then you could probably mark that off the list of possible problems.
#2) What is it made of?  Wood?  Plastic?  Metal?
#3) If you see nothing and smell nothing ... my next guess would be that something/someone has scared/startled him while he was in his hut/house ... probably while sleeping ... to the point he is afraid it will happen again, if he goes back inside.    What could scare him?  Someone banging on the cage or hut (trying to get him to come out of it), especially if he was asleep at the time.  Loud noises.  The hut being picked-up and shaken. 

Have you had any company lately?   Company in our home are not allowed in the chins' rooms unless I am with them.  Food for thought...

As far as I know none of those things have happened. It's Pine and doesn't smell or look discolored.
Pages: [1]   Go Up