Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can chins be loners?  (Read 2826 times)

squeakie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
can chins be loners?
« on: May 06, 2009, 06:23:41 PM »

I was told, when I rescued my chin, that he was a loner. He is mean to other chins and that's why he was given to me. I wonder though if he really is a loner. I thought chins were a social animal? ::shrug::
Is there a way to make him more social? He won't let me touch him. He won't come out of the cage except into a bigger "cage" (the round gate/fence type thing)
I've had him for more than a year and things haven't improved. Any advice on how help him get used to me?

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Re: can chins be loners?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:52:37 PM »

Oh yes...some chins just don't get along. From what I've read. You don't really know his past history...

Tell us a little about how you interact with your chin...As how you approach his cage...and how you get him out of his cage...and what method do you use to place him back into his cage. This guy is in rescue...he has a past...he needs you earn his trust...From what I learn...even new chins need to come to accepting us...It may just take him longer...but there might be something that could be fine tunned in the system your using...so please...share with us...a day in the life of your chin...with your interaction and how you go about it... :)
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:06:23 AM »

::silly::  How old is he?  What was the bad situation like that he came from ... or do you know the particulars?

Don't give up on him ... there's always hope.  Do tell us how you approach him ... the tone of voice you use ... how often ... what does he do when you put your hand in the cage? ... etc. 

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 12:01:41 PM »

Some chinchillas are loners. I have a male here who does not get along with anyone else. I have tried several  chinchillas in my herd and he always beats them up.. not worth the risk in my opinion so he will live alone.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

squeakie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 01:20:06 PM »

He was3 1/2 when I received him. All I know about his past is that he was rescued by a ex-breeder who was getting rid of many of her chins. He couldn't be left alone with any other chin because he would fight with them. She didn't have the patience to deal with him so she offered him to me.

He, Frockamo, normally  stays in his "house" in his cage until about 6:30pm. I go over to him and talk to him, like a mother talks to a frighten child who needs to be coaxed out of hiding. I sit by his cage and just talk to him for a few minutes. I will take half a treat, not everyday, and put it in my hand then put it just outside his cage door. Most days he will come take it then run back in his cage.  I will put the gate up and try to get him to come out to get the other half of the treat. Sometimes he comes out grabs it and runs back in. Others he will stay out for a few minutes, but only if I'm not near him.
The second all lights are off in the house he goes crazy in his wheel but he won't even go in it when we are around.
Oh and he loves watching the TV at night. :::grins::

He is in the livingroom so he is near me all the time, I'm a stay at home mom.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »

::silly::   Sounds like you are doing all the right things.  You have already helped him take the first step or two by getting him to come to your hand outside the door to get a treat ... even if it is only to grab it and run back inside his hut.  Praise him for it.   If you can, please try to set a particular time to give him his 1/2 treat each day ... even if you set have to set an alarm to remind you ... Chinchillas love schedules.  After a while, if you notice, he will start pearing out of his hut looking for you about the same time each day ... Do not disappoint him.   :)   When he comes to get the second half praise him again.  If he stays out, be sure to tell him what a good boy he is being.

After a few days, set 1/2 a treat on his wheel and see if he will come and get it ... praise him again.

The second all lights are off in the house he goes crazy in his wheel but he won't even go in it when we are around.  Oh and he loves watching the TV at night.

It sounds like he might have gotten yelled at or fussed at for noise from a previous owner.  There's a good possibility he has even been hit, also.  Try setting in the room, in the dark, on the other side of the room, very quietly ... if he starts playing ... just watch him ... slowly move your chair closer and closer ... about an inch or two a day.  If he refuses to come out when you have moved your chair ... move it back to the same place as the day before.   If he gets on his wheel, talk softly, praise him ... like you are happy and excited at the same time, but softly.  When he learns to trust you in the dark, it will be easier for him to trust you in the light. 

Any time you pass by the cage or even walk past the door to the room ... even if you do not see him ... call him by name and say "Hi" and/or when you leave the room, call him by name and say "bye".  In this way you will be acknowledging his presence, but in a manner that is not threatening to him.

The 'proper' greeting between chinchillas is sniffing from the nose to the fur on it's side ... once he will stay at the door of the cage a little bit ... start making a soft sniffing sound.  Each day, just a little closer ... once he will sniff your face and allows you to sniff his face ... he has accepted you.  He may not let you hold him yet, but he is trying and wanting to trust you ... just keep taking baby steps ... and no sudden moves ... it will work in time.   :::grins::

This is just one method, I am sure others have ones they have found to be successful.  Each chinchilla is different, so you may have to try different things ... just don't give up on him.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:07:41 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 07:29:35 AM »

poor little guy. No don't give up on him. Just be patient and listen to Joann. She knows her stuff.  ::nod::
Pages: [1]   Go Up