Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kirby the drooling chinchilla not doing well  (Read 3552 times)

kirby

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
kirby the drooling chinchilla not doing well
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:55:57 PM »

My chinchilla had a cracked tooth removed on friday and has not been doing well since. On Saturday I thought he was dying. I called the vet and he gave him an antibiotic. He's a little better. He'll come over to get pet and he is eating the critical care recipe. He really likes it and is eating well.( I also ground up some cuttle bone in the critical care)He does not want to be handled and he is still droolly and his nose is runny. Also he is pulling out all of his fur. I am not sure if he's wet from pulling out his fur or if he's pulling out his fur because it is wet. Has anyone ever had their chinchilla do this or have an idea why he's doing it?
Liz

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: kirby the drooling chinchilla not doing well
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:11:09 PM »

Oh,poor little guy.Did they give him any pain meds?Is he he only pulling out the wet fur or just any fur?
Sandy

kirby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:05:42 AM »

They did not give him any pain medication and he just seems to be pulling out the wet fur. The vet said there is nothing else he can do for him.
Liz

Petco Chinchillas

• My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 08:37:11 AM »

We can always pray for the little guy. ::nod::   Poor thing! :::(((

Jessica L.
God Bless Chinchillas!

Harleychin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 08:37:47 AM »

Not to be mean,but I don't think I like your vet.
First they pull his tooth and don't give you anything for his pain and then they tell you theres nothing else they can do for him.
I would try to dry him off daily as best you can and lots of dust baths.Look for fungus since he's wet a lot.(dry him be for a bath so you don't get clumps)
Hows his poo and pee?
Can you tell me a little more about how he was Saturday?
When did the vet give you the AB's and what kind did he give you?
Keep up the CC.It's good stuff.
Sandy

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 10:06:46 AM »

My chinchilla had a cracked tooth removed on friday and has not been doing well since. On Saturday I thought he was dying. I called the vet and he gave him an antibiotic. He's a little better. He'll come over to get pet and he is eating the critical care recipe. He really likes it and is eating well.( I also ground up some cuttle bone in the critical care)He does not want to be handled and he is still droolly and his nose is runny. Also he is pulling out all of his fur. I am not sure if he's wet from pulling out his fur or if he's pulling out his fur because it is wet. Has anyone ever had their chinchilla do this or have an idea why he's doing it? =

Pulling out the fur could be from the stress of having the tooth pulled ... stress from the pain ... any number of reasons, but, if he did not chew or pull his fur out before the removal of the tooth, I would think it is from the stress he is going through.  How did his fur get wet?

To dry his fur, use paper towels and/or tissues ... paper absorbs faster and better than cloth.  You can use a hair dryer ... IF you set at the lowest temperature, lowest air volume/speed and move it back and forth quickly about 12 to 15 inches from him.   Do NOT hold the dryer in one spot ... that will cause him to overheat.  Do not place him in a draft from the window or air conditioner ... this will cause him to chill and get sick.

While on antibiotics he will need something to replenish the flora in his digestive system.  You can do this by giving him yogurt, flavored with blue berries, strawberries, banana or just plain ... which ever one he will eat ... I usually get the individual serving size ... it does not waste as much.  When giving him yogurt, only give it to him 3 hours before or 3 hours after the antibiotic medication ... if you give it to him at the same time, they will cancel each other out and it will be like you are doing noting.

They did not give him any pain medication and he just seems to be pulling out the wet fur. The vet said there is nothing else he can do for him.

:-\    I don't think I like your vet either. 

::think::   If you have anything you use when you have a tooth ache, you may be able to rub a tiny bit on the area and help numb the pain some.

???    I don't think I would go for the dust baths right now ... he could get some of it into the open wound and cause an infection or irritation.  Once the gum has healed, I'm sure he will enjoy a dust bath.   :::grins::

Do keep us posted on the progress!

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

kirby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 11:40:57 AM »

I don't know if he's drooling still and that's why he's wet or if he's wet from pulling out his fur. The side that his is pulling his fur out of is the side that was wet from his drooling before he had the tooth pulled. I have been letting him have dust bathes because he really wants them and I thought it might help dry up his fur. He ends up with clumps in his remaining fur and on his paws. Should I not let him have dust bathes right now? He is eating well but the critical care has to be basically mush or he will not eat it. He might not have enough teeth to eat anything else. He was missing a tooth when we got him(our vet found out the first time he had an x-ray) and he's had 2 more pulled since. Strangely though he is chewing on his salt wheel, mineral stone, and this other rocky chew block we have for him and drinking well. He has never chewed on any of them before. On Saturday he did not want to be touched which is unusual for him because he loves to be pet and snuggled.  He was very lethargic and would not move off his top ledge. He was so wet. He is much better than he was but he's still not good. Could he maybe have hair tangled in his teeth or stuck in his throat from ripping out his fur? Could that be making him wet? As for our vet, he is the only that treats exotics. There is a vet school about 3 hours away but I don't know if Kirby would be able to handle the trip in the condition he's in.
Liz

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 12:51:04 PM »

I just have to say it, some exotics vets may treat exotics but they don't know anything about chinchillas. He will not likely improve without any pain management. I am leary of vets who want to pull teeth but I guess now any damage is done. It is a good sign that he is eating willingly. I too would cut back on the dust baths until he isn't drooling as much.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up