Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EASY FIX FOR CHEWED WATER BOTTLES  (Read 2038 times)

ohio chinny

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
EASY FIX FOR CHEWED WATER BOTTLES
« on: April 03, 2012, 08:59:10 PM »

I haven't seen this fix elcewhere, so i thought i'd post it
     my chin loves loved to chew on the plastic part of her waterbottle tube/lid. the part that holds the metal tube with the little ball in it, and screws onto the top of the bottle. this enevitably caused it to leak, so I decided to get a glass one. then I discovered that they do not sell glass waterbottles in my aria ( ::think:: why? who knows... but they dont, I looked all over) I ended up just getting another like the one I had, it would just need replacing from time to time, 2 more bottles later, i was getting annoyed, so I got one of those metal gaurds to see if that would help, it slowed her down a bit, but diddn't cover the part that she really liked to chew, so after a couple more bottles, I decided to get creative and see if I couldnt find a way to make somthing myself to fix it...

sorry if im a bit long-winded... The solution I came up with was to remove the metal bottem off a pringles can tube by cutting off the card board, its a nice piece of metal with no sharp edges that when placed between the side of the cage and the plastic part of the waterbottle,(it's kinda pinched between them, just the way the bottle hangs, thats how it stays put)  she cant reach between the bars to chew on it anymore and it sits on top of the metal part of the tube, not blocking her from drinking, for it sticks out about an inch or two into the cage, the best part :::grins:: IT WAS FREE! because it was somthing i allready had :)         ...its been years sience i've needed a new waterbottle ::nod::

I hope that this helps! also, if anyone elce has creative fixes, for anything chin related, please fell free to post it below  :)

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: EASY FIX FOR CHEWED WATER BOTTLES
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 03:25:45 PM »

nice idea..  one of my girls is chewing my plastic bottle so i cover it with fleece, but sometimes it comes off...
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »

That is a great idea!!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »

yes that's a good one. ::nod::
I use tin cans . Cut a hole in the end with the lid still attached big enough for the spout to fit through.Then a small one on the opposite side and end  to hang inside or same side to hang outside. Drop the water bottle in. ;)
Some cages I just use a washer.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up