Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin Poop as Compost?  (Read 2028 times)

Annick

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chin Poop as Compost?
« on: July 22, 2009, 08:08:03 PM »

I was thinking since my chins poop so much :blush2: and I use fleece bedding which I sweep everyday and even the poop on the shelves i am constantly sweeping with a paintbrush I was thinking instead of tossing the poop in the garbage would it be safe to use in the garden?  As compost? I mean there is just soo much of it.  What do you guys think?  I have a flower garden and a vegetable garden.  Would it be safe for either?  Or neither? ::)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Chin Poop as Compost?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 06:41:31 AM »

::silly::  With having between 100 to 200 chins at any given time over the past many, many years ... and the fact we are doing back fill in our back yard ... our plants/lawn seem love the bedding and poop the chins leave ... it makes an extremely rich soil and decomposes quickly.  Two of our neighbors that are also doing backfill did not have our "natural fertilizer" and had a much harder time getting there yards to green up.   ::)  Our normal soil/dirt is red clay ... very hard and hard for plants to grow in ... we mix the used bedding with the red clay and it works wonders.   It does have a bit of a high pH at first (due to the urine), but mellows out quickly with a few good rain showers. 

Last year I had some cucumbers that weighed 3 pounds.  It would take only one slice to make a cuecumber sandwich.   :D

Almost anything will grow in it ... especially mushrooms.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up