Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: possible stressed out chinny?  (Read 4073 times)

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
possible stressed out chinny?
« on: January 16, 2010, 02:52:18 PM »

So, my boyfriend and I have had our oldest chin Liv for almost a year now and he's so well behaved and loves attention. We got Indy about four months after Liv and they are very close..we got our newest addition Benji about two months ago and all three get along very well. In fact, Benji seems to really idolize Liv and constantly cuddles up to him to sleep. Lately I've noticed that Liv seems to be having some loose fur and I thought it might be because its winter and some animals do shed a bit in this season. It's not a drastic amount but i will notice that i can pull out a piece once in a while. Also, he has always had a very nice smooth coat but lately it seems he has a couple spots that are almost white in comparison to his dark grey fur. It is a spot near his back right hip. I don't know if this is because he's stressed out maybe with the two little ones to take care of? It doesn't seem to be a large amount of fur being lost though, so I'm confused. Any ideas?!

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
Re: possible stressed out chinny?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 04:47:37 PM »

The hosts of the board are at a show today and should be back online soon to give you great information as usual.  However, are you 100% positive that you have 3 males?  I had a very similar issue when I discovered that I had a female.  It was a hard lesson to learn for a newbie.

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »

ahh i hope that is not the case! we are positive that the two oldest are boys but we're still not sure about the little one. i'll be so upset if Benji is a girl! hes the sweetest little thing  :::(((

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 08:54:52 AM »

::silly::  Can you take a picture and post it, please?  
There could be many different possibilities.  Fear, heat and stress can cause one to shed fur.
Do you groom him on a regular basis?
Chinchillas are capable of allowing their fur to "slip" (fall out) when they are being hunted, leaving the predator with only a mouth full of fur.  
When they are not being handled improperly, the fur will often slip.  
If they want down and you continue to hold on to him/her, or you may be holding him to tight, or he may be trying to escape, the fur can 'slip' during any of these instances.
If you pull on the fur, I would be surprised if it did not come out.
Chins going into and out of prime will shed fur, but that is all over and a little bit at a time, not all in one place.
It almost sounds like something/someone may have accidentally pulled a small amount out, leaving the surrounding fur trying to 'fill in', spreading out, until the new fur can grow in to replace the fur that was removed.

Is all the fur in that area the same length?  Fur chewing is also a possibility.

How old is Benji ?  

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

It is imperative the you make sure all three are males ... if there is a female in the same cage with two males ... the two males may fight to the death over her, any time she goes into season.  Unfortunately, she, if there is one, might get caught up in the fight also.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:00:18 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 11:37:09 AM »

It is not extremely large amounts of fur that fall out, its very small spots. there is just the one spot that seems to be a different length and i've never noticed it before, up until a couple of days ago.
The pictures are in my photo gallery because i still can't figure out how to put them on here  :blush2: I know the last one is dark but you can still see the white in comparison to the rest of his fur. The other two..that is about the extent of it. Is it something to worry about?

Also, Benji is about 5 months old. My boyfriend and I try to check everyday to see if there has been any progress so we can tell easier, but his genital area is still very small. I do not see a hole between the cone and his anus, but they are slightly close together. Still, I know that's not always a for sure thing because Liv's were very close together and hes definitely a boy!  rofl Is there any behavior we can watch for that may let us know which gender he is? I hope we find out soon!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 11:12:17 PM »

::silly::  At 5 months old ... if the cone and the anus are touching ... my bet is that Benji is a female.  If this is so, she may be in trouble in more ways than one.  She, if Benji is a she, is to young to get pregnant and be having kits, but she does have the ability to get pregnant at 5 months of age, but it is doubtful that she would be large enough to deliver the kits when the time comes... and ... if the other two are males and sharing the same cage with a female, be prepared for a fight that could cost one, two or all three their lives.  The males will sometimes fight to the death for the right to breed a female ... often, the female will get caught up in the fight and be badly injured or killed.

All that said, I do hope you have 3 males and that Benji is not a female.

Keep us posted!

::wave::  Jo Ann

P.S. If you will send me a picture of the underside/privates of Benji, by regular Email (just click on the envelope under my name), I might be able to help on knowing which he/she is. 
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cusunfireguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 06:57:06 AM »

I totally agree Jo Ann!  Try to get her a real good picture of the genitals.  You can use a picture hosting program like www.imageshack.com to post the pictures in the board.  I hope you have 3 males also.  It's not a good experience.  When I was new to chinchillas, I made that mistake and accidentally introduced a female.  My males got into a HUGE fight and my Buster got his ears tore up pretty bad.

We all make mistakes but thankfully, we have JoAnn!!!

Steven

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 09:34:34 AM »

ok, i have noticed that indy and liv are fighting a bit..indy seems to be beating up on liv a bit more than the other way around! this is worrying me! i will try to get a good picture for you later tonight and send it. thanks so much!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 11:59:52 AM »

Olivia those pics don't look to bad to me.
Looks like he may be scuffing himself on something, like the ragged edge of a shelf, ledge or house that has been chewed.
Unless you are grooming regularly I would expect to see some fur disturbances. But it doesn't look chewed to me, just a bit of slipage that will grow back.
I'm so curious as to the sexes though  ;) Try for pics of their undersides. If ones parts looks closer than the other 2 chances are you have a female.
Debbie.nl.ca

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 10:22:51 AM »

ok thank you debbie! i think he just gets a little scuffed up at night when hes running around, atleast thats what i hope! joann, i sent an email to you with the picture of benji's underside, did you get it? if you need a better one, my boyfriend and i will try to take it. it is hard to compare benji with the other two boys since liv and indy are older and benji is still not matured yet, poor little baby  ::)

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 11:21:39 AM »

Joann was not able to answer my email yet, i'm sure she's very busy! I was just wondering if anyone else could possibly tell which gender benji is from this picture of his underside? any help is appreciated!  ::nod::

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »

Bad angle..but at first glance it looks female.  If you place your finger on the fur just above the "penis" and gentle pull up to lift it does it expose skin between it and the anus or are they practically touching.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 11:42:12 AM »

it is hard to tell but i believe there is skin between the "penis" and anus. not completely sure because everytime we try to check he is NOT happy  :blush2: but we will try to take a better picture and i will post it later for you!

cusunfireguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 12:05:42 PM »

At first glance, it looks female to me.  Check out the link below: 

http://www.chin-chillas.com/sexing_your_chin.html

Steven

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 06:04:10 PM »

Yes you need to hold the chin flatter, our stand more from her bottm looking up.
But that looks like it could be femals.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up