Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: my poor baby :(  (Read 1576 times)

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
my poor baby :(
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:50:11 PM »

I am a little worried about my baby Liv and i need some advice.  :-\ Last night i slept over my boyfriend's house and Liv was in his cage and Indie was in his cage they both seemed fine when i left. This morning my mom called me and told me to come home right away so i rushed home and i found Liv with his head SOMEHOW pushed out of one of the squares in his cage and the rest of his chubby little body stuck inside. The squares in his cage are not large at all and i am blown away that his head was even able to get through. When he saw me he started to squirm and i tried to hold him down so i could cut the wires around his head but he kept moving around. I was able to cut part of it but the little point of the wire was sharp and i think it hurt him because he started to squeal. i held his head while my mom held his body and i cut the square next to it so he could finally get out. of course at this point i was bawling because my poor baby must've been very upset so i had my mom hold him so her slow heartbeat could calm him down and he went under my bed and seemed to fall asleep for a few minutes. i let him take a dust bath and he enjoyed it as always and he ate when i gave him fresh food so i thought that was good. he seems a little tired too because im sure he had a rough night but im worried that hes going to be traumatized. i also dont want him to be mad at me. help please! :(

Annick

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: my poor baby :(
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 05:45:46 PM »

Hey!

Mmm Wow that must have been quite the ordeal.  But from what you say that he was eating fine and stuff that sounds like he's alright.  I don't think he's mad at you.  He might have panicked at the moment but if he's eating and stuff and you were able to get his head out he might just be tired from struggling to get out.  My small chinchilla was able to get his head then his whole body through those cube shelves.  By no means is that his cage but I used them to put up a fence in their play area.  Now I covered the holes with a cardboard.  But its quite impressive how they can squish themselves to fit in small places.   ::)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:47:21 AM »

Awww the poor little darling, yes they are amazing. As is the things they can do.
He does sound fine now, but give him loads of love and effection to let him know he's fine.
He may love you even more after saving him.
Watch for swelling around the throat and cheeks.
I have seen a chin get caught in a chicken wire mesh a few years back.
One I had sold to a lady and told her chicken wire was no good but she didn't listen.
I sold her two and took them both back. Sad to say the one that got stuck passed away in my arms.
Her neck and cheeks became very swollen from the choking and she couldn't breath.
Doesn't sound like your little fur ball was stuck that tight.
You'll have do do something about that cage, and if your chin seems to be in any disstress at all get him to the vet. OK
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 09:49:25 AM »

::silly::  What size is the wire of the cage?  (The distance vertically and horizontally between the bars.)  

If you don't have a measuring tape, use coins to 'measure it' ... a dime is about 1/2 inch and a quarter is about 1".   :)

Can you post a picture of the cage, please?

::wave::    Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:31:47 AM »

Oh, I am so sorry! :::(((  That was probably scary to your chin!

But, as Debbie.nl.ca posted, he may love you more since you saved him from his tight spot. You were his hero in his time of need.

Also, how long was he stuck like that?
God Bless Chinchillas!
Pages: [1]   Go Up