Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chinchilla jealousy issues  (Read 5193 times)

animalnut1310

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
chinchilla jealousy issues
« on: August 02, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »

I've had my oldest chinchilla for only 3 years...she's been by her self for that long.... i don't have many animals that are cute and cuddly ... but anyway have you ever had your :flames: chinchilla urinate on you or through a stream at you because you touched another chinchilla that he or she didn't like 2 much... for some reason i have this problem  :-\ that if shes See's another chinchilla she just starts ripping her own hair out like she's a basket case ::scaredspeachless::  :doh:does any one else have this problem? and how in the world do you fix this problem?   I THINK SHE'S A BIT Jealous OR CRAZY either or.

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
Re: chinchilla jealousy issues
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 04:48:29 PM »

Well, all chins have different personalities.  Maybe try to wash your hands after every chin you touch.  I already do that anyway after I touch any animal. :::grins::

The chin wants all your attention!! She thinks, I am her only chin and yet she sees other chinchillas!!

IT`s kind of like cheating in human terms.  She feels that you should be loyal to her. And not to go off and see other chinchillas.

Let her know that you will never leave her.
God Bless Chinchillas!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:24:48 AM »

::silly::  That's right Petco.  Chinchillas have the full ray of emotions humans have ... even jealousy ... not just over other chinchillas, but also over humans.

Peetunia (note the spelling), one of our ebonies, claimed my husband as her own.  It took us a while to figure it out, but, any time my husband would give me a kiss or a hug in front of her ... she would spray me everytime I got within range for the next 3 days.  {Female chinchillas are very, very accurate for up to 7 feet.}  None of our other chins went to that extreme ... thank goodness.

Not all female chinchillas spray you, but the ones that do, know how to, ( ::) promise they do) I know.   :D   Female chinchillas spray urine for several different reasons ... in the wild, to protect herself and her kits ... many a predator got their eyes full.  A female chinchilla will spray when she is frightened, mad, upset or when a male makes advances towards her and she is not "ready" yet.

When you have a single chinchilla, especially for that long ... more than likely ... it already has put it's claim on you and is not willing to share you ... especially with another chinchilla.  After holding/touching another chinchilla, if you do not want to be sprayed ... I would not only wash my hands, but I would also shower and change clothes if you do not want to be sprayed.  After doing this, if she still sprays you, then it is not the other chinchilla(s), but something else that is upsetting her.  (Like the smell of a new detergent, cologne, air-freshner, deodorant, or new smells on you from work.  Chinchillas, like many other animals, recognize you more by smell than by site.

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 03:29:32 PM »

Oh my  ;D   
but anyway have you ever had your  chinchilla urinate on you or through a stream at you

I have to laugh  ;D   I have one that I say hates me, and what aim she has. I've gotten just as good at ducking and dodging over the years as her aim.
 Leona was born in Oct of 2005, and the moment I opened her shipping she sprayed me she was about 4 months old.
The first year was a wet one though. But we've both adjusted well to each other over the years, I don't bother her too much unless I have too, and she now knows I'm going to ignore her protests. She usually just assumes the position these days and doesn't spray much, but a scatter time when she knows I have my guard down she'll still get a spray in.
Once I get her out in my arms she a big baby, and as she is trained to get in and out of her cage by herself we have very little problems. She's one of my best breeders and I love her to pieces. Maybe even more so because she has such personality.I take her as a very vocal chin using what she has to try and tell me she is boss. She knows I'd never hurt her, and doesn't protest when I check her teeth or pregnancy or even right after birth. She just likes things on her own terms and has no bones about letting me know. Well I'm just as stubborn and she knows it. We do love each other and I guess we are each still letting the other know "I'm boss"  ;)

The funny things is she has never sprayed my daughter. Laura can just pick her up, and she'll even give her kisses. ::)
The only way I get one is if I have a piece of treat between my lips.  :D

Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 06:19:19 AM »

::silly:: 
She usually just assumes the position ...

Yep!  She will stand on her hind legs, very erect, pull her paws up and back to appear larger than she is, tilt her head down slightly, give you the evil eye look, and pin her ears down and back as she tilts her hips forward to take aim!   Then the water works start.   rofl

It washes off/out.   ;)

::howdythere::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up