Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 chin or 2 chins??  (Read 2540 times)

chichi

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
1 chin or 2 chins??
« on: August 10, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »

i was wondering if its best to have one chichilla or 2? the breeder we got chichi from said it would be best if she was alone. she said,"with 2 chins we could lose her as a pet" and i don't want that, but i want her to be happy and have someone to play with at night.
i don't know if they are colony animals or not, i will admit i've been lazy in doing tons of research but i'm trying to change that. i have done research for my rabbits and sugar gliders but its really hard to for me to sit at this computer like i used to.
this seems like a really good site so i will sit here as long as possible and do some reading.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: 1 chin or 2 chins??
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 03:26:55 PM »

::silly::   
i was wondering if its best to have one chinchilla or 2?
Chinchillas are very social animals.
the breeder we got chichi from said it would be best if she was alone. she said,"with 2 chins we could lose her as a pet" and i don't want that, but i want her to be happy and have someone to play with at night.
  Each breeder/person has their own views.  I have found that is usually depends on the chinchilla/chinchillas and the amount of time you spend with them.  Some chinchillas crave their own kind, while others seem just fine with their human families.  The routine you keep them in will help determine much of their actions/reactions.  If you play with them constantly, as a pair, they will usually continue their feelings towards you also.  In some chinchillas, rare, but in some, they have a way of turning you off once they have a cage mate ... but ... remember, it is the way you treat them as a pair and how much time you spend with them which usually determines their reactions to you.  If you do not spend as much time with them "because they have someone to play with" ... you will find they will turn their backs on you and towards each other for companionship.

the breeder we got chichi from said it would be best if she was alone.

I would ask her if there were any other reasons she should be kept alone.  She may not be as social with other chinchillas as most are ... (she might fight other chins) ... if this is the case, you might want to consider keeping her by herself. 

But, if it is that the breeder just "feels" she would be best as an 'only chin' because of the way she may or may not react to you ... then it's going to have to be strictly your decision.

Just my opinion.   :)

That's a really hard one for someone to try to decide for you.

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:08:38 PM »

Have you had any experience with chins before?

If not, I would stick with 1 chin.  Sometimes 1 chin is hard to take care of.....
God Bless Chinchillas!

chichi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 07:45:41 AM »

she is soo very sweet, she was 8 or 9 wks. old when we got her. she is also very easy to care for, we have an extra room we take her in and let her play during the day. its at night i worry about her being lonely. some nights i can't sleep so i'm up til 3am and she will sit on this thing i made for her and make noises wanting attention. naturally, chichi gets what she wants and i play and rub the side of her chin. she melts when you rub that spot!!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 04:02:49 AM »

::silly::  Sounds like you really spend allot of time with her.  With this being the case, and having had her since she was 8 or 9 weeks old, she should be just fine as an "only chin".  Just remember, chinchillas can live to be 20 + years old (10 to 15 years being the average) ... this is a long term commitment and she will always expect to get treated the same as she is now being treated.  If your attentions falter, she will be very sad.

The only disadvantage of the situation of having an "only chin" for a long period of time is, if you decide later you want a second chin.  With chinchillas having the full array of emotions that humans have, a second chin at a later date could cause some jealousy.

Just a thought.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chichi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 07:24:52 AM »

yeah, i knew they could live that long. my rabbits can live up to 15yrs and my gliders can live 15+yrs too. i think they can out-live that with proper care.

chinpizza

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 01:14:02 AM »

"with 2 chins we could lose her as a pet"

This is sometimes a possibility, but like others have said, you can usually keep your relationship with your chin provided you still give them enough attention.

Though this doesn't always happen, my first chinchilla actually became much friendlier towards me after I introduced the second one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up