Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: broken wire in chin cage  (Read 1794 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
broken wire in chin cage
« on: August 11, 2009, 10:12:31 PM »

Ok, so I have a problem. I just noticed that one of the wires on my chins cage is broken. It doesn't go all the way across, just halfway across. The hole is still small enough that they couldn't get out out. I'll take a picture of it tom. Its small. I'd have to bend the piece back for it to be noticed. This piece that is broken is were the bottom of the saucer is. Its one of the wires that is holding it up on the bottom.

I know I need to get a new cage. I really don't have the extra money right now to get another one. I'm still trying to find a job in this bad economy...

I'm also mad at pets mart  :flames: . I think i'm going to call them tom about the cage, but I doubt they will refund my money or exchange it.  ::tickedoff:: Even if they would, i don't have some of the stuff that came with it.. I don't think I have anything that came with it because I'd had to replace EVERYTHING!! I'v had this cage for 8 and a half months, which i paid $100 for.

All I'v been doing is putting money into this cage to make it safe for my chins and now this. I know this isn't the best chin cage, but its what i have to work with. I guess the wires aren't strong enough for the saucer that I have... Plus both my chins get on it at the same time sometime.

I was thinking that till I could get a new cage I could just switch everything around in my cage. Put the saucer on the other side and switch the shelves. The other thing I could do, is just take out the saucer and get the cheap one at pets mart that sits on the ground for now. Or if anyone knows of a cheap place I can get a cage.

Now I'm not even going to sleep good tonight because I'm going to be worried about them. A few nights ago, I woke up because I worried about them. I had to come out to the living room to check on them. I'm used to them being in my bedroom.

I'm sorry if i'm complaining. I'd appropriate any ides.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: broken wire in chin cage
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 05:55:09 AM »

::silly::  I don't know what their return policy is ... but ... they can not resell a broken cage ... You could let them open the new box/cage and remove anything you no longer have and after you get the new "stripped" cage home, you could then replace the items with the same stuff that you are now using that you purchased for the old cage.

Cages that are built for a chinchilla (to use with an attached wheel/flying saucer), are usually stronger than the cages that are not made for chinchillas.  They may not look stronger, but when it comes to attaching a wheel to it, they seem to do much better.  Regardless of the type of wire, if the wheels are used allot (and by more than one chin at a time), there is usually lots of vibration ... it is the vibration that breaks/separates the welding of the wire on the cage, causing it to break. 

You might want to try putting rubber washers between the cage and the areas where the wheel attaches ... that should absorb some of the vibration.

The other thing I could do, is just take out the saucer and get the cheap one at pets mart that sits on the ground for now.

The ones that set on the ground (or any that have a cross bar) will put your chinchilla in danger of broken bones and a huge vet bill.  He might do better with some extra outside-of-the-cage play time.     ::nod::

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:18:31 PM »

Thanks Jo Ann, I might have some piece of mind now.  ;)  I haven't called pets mart yet. I am going to be stopping by my parents house this week and we still have extra washers from when we put the the new shelves in. I'll try that. The saucer deff does vibrate the cage alot. Maybe its not all pets mart fault. But what should I do about the wire thats broken?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 04:31:34 AM »

::silly::   I would call and ask about the possible return/exchange of the cage ... there's always a chance it could have been weak in that one place.  The worse they can say is "no", so there is no harm in asking.   :)

The washers used to put the shelves on should have been metal ... you might want to try rubber washers for the flying saucer attachments and shield the rubber washers with slightly larger metal washers so that the chins can't chew up the rubber ones.   :::grins::

Let us know how it turns out.

::wave::  Jo Ann

P.S.  If they will not exchange the cage and you need to continue using it ... I would place a leaping ledge/a shelf/or a large fender washer over the area that is broken ... you could even take two small blocks of wood ... one on each side of the cage and screw them together to cover the broken section of the wire ... you don't want your little one to get hurt.
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 03:41:18 PM »

Thanks Jo Ann, thats a really good idea. I do have some extra wood from when I made the shelves. I'll try to make it to the hardware store soon to get rubber washers.

I still haven't called petsmart yet. You are right, the worse thing they could say is 'no'. I'll call them tom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up