Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chinchilla hair loss...HELP  (Read 3634 times)

Peyton_chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
chinchilla hair loss...HELP
« on: August 05, 2009, 07:17:07 PM »

So someone gave me this chinchilla she could not care for, I took him sight unseen i get home and see the chinchilla set up... and he has alot of missing hair around his tail and about half way up his body, it is his outer hair not his inner hair, I have owned chins for a while and haven't seen anything quite like this, Ideas?

he is eating fine, taking his baths 5-6 times a week he drinks and plays GREAT, i'm so confused! he looks so funny though!

what could this be?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: chinchilla hair loss...HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 07:12:39 AM »

::silly::  It's called 'fur chewing'.  Often it is just a nervous habit ... but sometimes it can be hereditary.  This not only looks bad, but is not good for their health.

Is there any animal in your home that even goes into the same room your little one is in?

Was he doing this when you got him?

How old is he?

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 05:36:52 PM »

It sounds like the person who couldn`t care for the chin dropped him off at your house and when you got home from where ever, you saw the chin and saw its bad condition? You really should have seen it first before you decided to take him in. 

Although, I do congratulate you for taking him in. You did a good thing. I only hope your chin gets rid of this habit.
God Bless Chinchillas!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 03:13:54 AM »

::silly::   Is he housed/caged alone or do you have your other chins in the same cage with him?

You might want to get some Petromalt (comes in a tube in the cat/dog section of the pet store) and give him some (about the size of a pea) every other day.  This will help any fur he may have ingested pass on through without causing a blockage.  I put it on a Popsicle stick and give it to my little ones about once a month or every 6 weeks as a preventative.  When my brother's dog caused a family of my chins to chew fur, I gave it to them every other day, just as a precaution.

Once your new chin stops chewing his/her fur, it will take 3 to 6 months for it to all grow back.

My Little Jamie

Peyton_chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 05:09:05 PM »

Jo Ann

He is in my bedroom which is very quiet and not near any other animals except for another chin who is a female, however she was added after he had gotten there,
But considering his hair was already chewed...i don't think this could be the cause,

My cat and dog are kept out of the room at all times, they have never had access to the bedroom as long as i have had the chins, the male just i think was moved to many times and maybe that stressed him out?

w-e the cause if he looks horrible and i am very upset! however i have to fix him up i feel so bad for him!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 05:21:22 AM »

::silly::  Time and lots of TLC is what he needs the most.  I would make sure you always give him attention first and last, to prevent any jealousy with the new chin being added.  Jealousy = Stress

Fur chewing is often linked to stress and some chins stress much easier than others.  I have one chin that I have to make sure stays in the same place all the time and her cage is not moved.  She would seem to do a little fur chewing ever so often ... I finally realized each time would be after moving her cage to another part of the same room.  Now that I do not allow it to be moved, she is much happier.  She hasn't chew her fur in over 4 years now.   :::grins::

As a rule (my own) a chinchilla should never have more than 2 homes ... 3 max.  This is why each chinchilla that leaves me has done so with the agreement that, should the owner not be able to care for it (regardless of the reason), I expect for it to be returned to me.  Chinchillas do not do well with change.

My Little Jamie

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 09:36:35 AM »

I expect for it to be returned to me.

Me to Jo Ann!

I had one huge grey male that I didn't sell until he was over a year old. I knew he was a whoosh and I always called him Mama's boy. His name is Buddy 'cause he was my buddy.
Shortly after he moved with in a few months he started chewing, and I had never seen a fur chewer until then.
His new owner is great and came back to buy Buddy a Buddy, whom he fell in love with and treats him like his own kit.
Though Buddy would still chew now & then.
The new owner has him good an settled, and as long as she keeps loads of things for him to chew & play with in his cage he doesn't chew.She also finds he's much better when not moved about.
So it can be stopped when caused by stress and boredom. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up