Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Introduction question  (Read 3174 times)

love_my_chin

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Proud Chin Mommy ~Crash b. 4/22/09~
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Introduction question
« on: August 30, 2009, 08:09:45 PM »

Hello everyone,

I got a new chinchilla today as a friend for the one I already had. I put them face to face with each other on opposite sides of one's cage and they started to hiss and bite at each other. A few hours later, after it seemed like they had calmed down, I decided to do it again and they seemed ok. I then took it to the next step and put them in the same cage. The one I already had, Crash, started chasing the new one (Rocko) around the cage and then the interesting part happened. Crash mounted Rocko and started humping him like crazy!  ::Hairraising:: I didn't know what to do. This happened a few more times and then I seperated them. While this was happening Crash was biting on Rocko's ear too (no blood or anything). What could this mean? BTW they are both boys.

Please help!  ::shrug::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Chinchilla Introduction question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:16:51 AM »

::silly::  From what you are describing, you have two chinchillas that may never get together to be happy as cagemates.

Usually, when two start fighting immediately, they never seem to be able to get along  OR it may take a very long time for them to accept each other.

Remember: Most chinchillas will get along with other chinchillas, but not all chinchillas will get along with all chinchillas.  Chins have personalities just like people.  Have you ever met someone that you almost instantly disliked, but weren't sure why?  That's a "clash of personalities" ... chinchillas can do this also.

Crash is protecting his home ... chinchillas can be very territorial at times.   By Crash humping Rocko, Crash was trying to claim the status of alpha chin (boss chin) ... by trying to bite him while he was doing this ... Rocko was saying ... on, no, I'm gonna be the boss.  It looks like you have two chins with dominate personalities.

It will take awhile and lots of patients before they will get along, if ever.   For now, for safety's sake and the health of both chins, they need to stay in separate cages. 

If you just got Rocko, aren't you going to isolate him for a period of time to make sure he is healthy before introducing him to Crash?

Where did you get Rocko?  Pet store?  Breeder?  Friend?

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 08:20:10 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

love_my_chin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:08:01 AM »

Thanks Jo Ann, and yes I am going to isolate him for a while, I just wanted to see how they would react to one another. I got him from someone off of Craig's list who didn't have enough time to care for him. I guess I will take this slow and see if they will ever be able to cohabitate.  :-\

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 05:34:47 AM »

It's not easy with 2 adults that attack at first sight. It would have been much easier on everyone if you had a kit to introduce to your older chin.
Kits haven't learned how to be alpha so they let the ranks be,and most chins love the babies as their own.
Debbie.nl.ca

love_my_chin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 02:44:14 PM »

Both of the chins are actually about the same age (4.5 months). After a lot of time and energy and working with the chins, I have finally gotten them to accept each other. Crash still knows he is the man of the house, but they are getting a long and I believe they will be life long friends.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 05:05:43 AM »

::silly::  That's great!  Congratulations!  It does take lots of work, and it is not always successful, but you did it with this pair.   :::grins::

I would still keep a close eye on them.  Some chins will act one way when you are around and a different way when you are not in site.  I had a pair that I attempted to have as cagemates ... they did fine when I was in the room ... but as soon as I left the room, the bickering would start and within an hour or so, a fight.  I had to choose the shorter way out, and gave them new cagemates to eliminate the stress.

As an individual with a small number of chins, you have more time to work with them.  When you have a large number of chins, you do not have the luxury of as much time to spend with each individual chin.    I miss those times.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up