Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tired Chinchillas  (Read 2832 times)

Socrates399

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Tired Chinchillas
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:09:22 PM »

Whenever my chinchillas get out of their cage they run around like crazy.  When it's time to put them back, they make me work to catch them.  After I catch them I give them a dust bath and put them back in their cage.  Usually they immediately lie down and go to sleep like they're completely wiped out.  Is this okay? 

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Tired Chinchillas
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:50:04 AM »

my chins sometimes do that too hha. sometimes i let them run in the hallway which is treat for them and daddy will chase  them up and down. they get very tired! chins have a lot of energy and love to run but they do get tired out after running alot. this is okay! especially if its during the day, since chins are nocturnal, they're used to sleeping in the daytime so after a fun run sometimes they just like to rest. just make sure they are eating okay and drinking a small amount and their poops look fine. then they are just little sleepy chins!  ;)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Tired Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 08:20:03 AM »

::silly::  This is usually great for most chins IF the play time is not to long and the room is cool (65 to 68 degrees F).  A hot room is not a good place for a chin to play.  The hotter it is, the more they need to rest quietly.   They will usually take little breaks when they are tired, unless another chin or a person is "chasing" them.

A chin-chiller stone or block is a good indication of when your little one is getting to hot or being to active.  They will run to the cool block and set on it to cool their body down.  This is a good sign it is time to let them rest.  Heat strokes must be avoided.

A mason jar filled with ice cubes and a tight metal lid is also a good indication ... they will lick the condensation on the out side of it and cuddle next to it for the cooler air.  This is a good sign to let them rest and have liquids.  Heat strokes must be avoided.

Note I said "most" chins.  Sometimes a chin can have a heart murmur and must not be as active as other chins ... a vet check is a good way to find out if your little one has a heart problem.  Heart attacks can occur when a chin is ill and it is to active.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up