Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: need some advise for Xochitl...  (Read 4559 times)

Crimson_Ham

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: need some advise for Xochitl...
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 03:55:21 PM »

Well I gave up on borrowing my daughters camera for pictures of them (she runs down the rechargables daily lol... 3 yr olds with digital cameras, go figure) and just decided to buy a new cord for my camera lol.... so no pics up yet but eventually.

Thought I'd update though. Xochitl is now letting people pet her through the cage bars (she loves having her chin rubbed :) ) and when I reah in and pet her and pick her up she doesn't put up much fuss and just calmly sits in my hands... Except when she has to pee of course... then she gets antsy and we put her back and she goes straight to the litter box. And she decided she likes getting loves now and gets jealous if we love on someone else before her lol it's cute.
Sorley has also gotten pretty mellow.
Now the only issue remaining is that they both just try to fight with Dagda if in the same place (tried playtime for all together...) but they're all pretty good now if I let the older ones and the babe out separately...
:)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 06:07:24 PM »

Sounds like you're doing well so far. There is a lot of really good information on pregnancy and kits on here so if you want to keep them together you might want to have a read up. It is possible they won't have babies, but it's probable that they will. I understand what you mean about there being no point in separating them now if she could already be pregnant...

I think if you don't know how long they've been together it could be years... and then that would be the reason they don't want another chinchilla coming into their space. Males will fight over a female almost all the time.

And just a bit of advice: I've found it usually takes about 6 months to a year for a chinchilla to totally trust you, so don't get disheartened if the progress is slow. :)

If you can make a series of steps up to the cage so that they can jump in themselves, then it's easy to train them to go back in. Like others have said: sand baths, treats, it depends on the personality of the chinchilla.

Crimson_Ham

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 04:18:08 PM »

Sounds like you're doing well so far. There is a lot of really good information on pregnancy and kits on here so if you want to keep them together you might want to have a read up. It is possible they won't have babies, but it's probable that they will. I understand what you mean about there being no point in separating them now if she could already be pregnant...

I think if you don't know how long they've been together it could be years... and then that would be the reason they don't want another chinchilla coming into their space. Males will fight over a female almost all the time.

And just a bit of advice: I've found it usually takes about 6 months to a year for a chinchilla to totally trust you, so don't get disheartened if the progress is slow. :)

If you can make a series of steps up to the cage so that they can jump in themselves, then it's easy to train them to go back in. Like others have said: sand baths, treats, it depends on the personality of the chinchilla.

The taller cage (the one the pair is in) has a door that rests on the floor. The last time my daughter accidentally let out Xochitl we followed her and when she was by her cage she did go in on her own. :) So cute... Dagda though wants to explore everything. He's so small and curious lol. and he never wants to sit still.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up