Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wants a chinchilla but has some questions  (Read 1747 times)

Conivore

• BERACCUDA
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Wants a chinchilla but has some questions
« on: November 19, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »

ok, i want a chinchilla, but i will probably not get it for a year or so. i already mapped out everything that i need, and i know a lot of people here are experts on chins, so i have a few things that i'm wondering.                         P.S.  I posted links so you can read everything about them ::nod::

i already know everything i'm buying when the time comes, so here is everything:
FOOD

CAGE

BEDROOM - a large one

DUST BATH

BATH HOUSE

DRINKER

btw, i was thinking of getting a female afro-violet baby chinchilla from www.valleyviewchinchillas.com. for the bedding i was just going to use a couple blankets, and thats pretty much it.

plz tell me anything i'm gonna do wrong with these things or anything i should consider buying for it.

Thanks
iRock

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Wants a chinchilla but has some questions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:09:54 AM »

::silly::  I am not familiar with that brand of chinchilla food, but there are to many things added to it ... most are treats.  {check out the ingredients listed}  A good chinchilla diet should be all pellets, not that extra stuff you see in the package.

The cage is mostly plastic ... a big "no-no" for chinchillas.  {regardless of how it is being advertised}  You may want to check out Martin's Cages at:  http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/chinchilla/  The prices are very reasonable and they have cages that are safe for chinchillas.

The igloo is also made of plastic which is not good for a chinchilla.  Chinchillas tend to chew on everything ... regardless of the fact that it may not be good for them.  Plastic breaks off in sharp little chunks that will not dislove in a chin's tummy.  As the sharp pieces of plastic pass through the digestive tract, it often leaves little cuts, which can become infected.

The dust bath dust/powder is good, just make sure you do not get the dust bath sand that they also have with a chinchilla's picture on the front of it.  Dust bath sand is to harsh on a chinchilla's fur.

The bath house is also plastic, but is usually not left in the cage for more than 10 or 15 minutes each day ... as long as you are watching him the whole time, it would be OK to use.   A square metal or glass baking dish would be just as good and would be safer.  *NOTE: As you will see, this little dust bath house contains a small packet of dust bath sand ... I just drop those in the garbage.

The "flip-top" water dispenser is not a good idea ... #1. it's plastic ... even mounting it outside the cage, the chin will be able to get to it, chew a hole in the bottom of it and allow the water to drain out on the table, floor and into the cage beneath it.  #2  The 'flip-top' will tempt you to leave the waterbottle hanging and pour additional water in it as it gets lower.  Wrong ... a chinchilla's water bottle needs to be emptied and washed and refilled every day or every other day with fresh water to keep it clean and safe for your little one to drink.  #3 Chinchillas tend to get a drink of water after eating ... often, the food and water mix and some of the food in the chin's mouth will end up in the tube ... often stopping it up and/or leaving bacteria that will grow and contaminate the water.  #4  It has a metal tube, IF your chin lets food travel back into the tube, it can be stopped up and the chin will have a bottle of water, but no way to get to it.

Glad you ask before purchasing those things.  Manufacturers then to make things that are appealing to the humans ... humans have the money ... but not necessarily best for the animals.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:29:13 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Conivore

• BERACCUDA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 02:25:08 PM »

yea i found a cage at martinscages and i'm gonnna get that palace one. the food i guess i'll keep looking, but i'll search pellets, and i think i can actually make the house and everything for it, so thanks for letting me know about all of those things. i still don't know about the water thing, so is there any way you could tell me good ones? because i wanna get the perfect one. i knew it was a good idea to post it here, because if i didn't i would be in a lotta trouble! ;)
iRock

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 07:13:28 AM »

::silly::   Glass bottles are best, but often hard to find.  If you find them, I usually suggest getting two, so you will have a spare one.  On the same website check out the bottles at the bottom section of the page ( http://www.martinscages.com/products/accessories/bowls.htm ) for the Lixit Glass Water Bottles (LIX-GLASS) They also carry the Ox Bow hay.

Mazuri Chinchilla Diet is all pellets and a good quality chin food ... some WalMarts carry it and some PetSmarts carry it.

If you can find the pellets and hay locally, it is usually less expensive and you don't have to worry about running out or a delay in shipment to you.  [With the holidays comming up, it is a time that this can/will happen.]  I usually try to keep at least a month's supply in reserve.  Most pellets and hay will still be good for 3 to 9 months after the mill date.   You never know what might happen.  {I had a local mill shut down without notice ... if I had not had the reserve supply, my little ones would have gotten awful hungry before I could find another supplier.}  Always check for a mill date or an expiration date, no matter what you purchase, food wise or supplements.  Never purchase pellets that are in see-through bags ... the sunlight makes them go bad faster.  Always store in a cool, dark and dry place.

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 06:36:05 PM »

Super Pet makes a glass chew-proof water bottle. I have one. They're available at Petsmart.

Mazuri pellets are a very good quality food, and can also be purchased at Petsmart.

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 06:37:12 PM »

Super Pet makes a glass chew-proof water bottle. I have one. They're available at Petsmart.

Mazuri pellets are a very good quality food, and can also be purchased at Petsmart.
Oops! Didn't read Jo Ann's full post! Didn't mean to repeat you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up