Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me learn past the basics!  (Read 6680 times)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Help me learn past the basics!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »

Hey Thanks,
Jo Ann that was exactly the kind of information I was looking for!
The pellets are some German brand I believe and don't have any English on them and don't have ingredients listed.
This is the box the pellets are in if it helps:

As for where to let them out I think my own room is most suited as the only wires I have in the room belong to my fish tank which I'm sure I could keep safe while supervising there play time! The only thing is while I'm bring one up the stairs and leave it in my room can I trust it for 5 minutes or so while I get the other? ...
A few questions to you Jo Ann, By fruits with pits what do you mean I don't really understand?
And I was told to use wood shavings for the bedding, I have been using it for my hamster for years now and It has never seemed to shorten there life span, Is it also safe for chinchilla's The pet shop was also using them for the chinchilla's.
That looks like a company that also sells in the USA ... personally, one I do not have very much confidence in myself.  Always check the ingredients ... if it lists nuts and says it's for chinchillas ... they have not done there homework before stating it is safe for a chinchilla. 
Fruits and veggies grown with pits in them are often said not to be safe for chinchillas ... the reason being: because some pits contain trace amounts of natural poisons (arsenic - which was also found in many of the pastes used to be use to put up wallpaper with) in very small amounts that it will not hurt humans, but could kill chinchillas ... such as peaches.  I would think the concern would be because chinchillas would eat the pits as well as the fruit itself 
Pine wood shavings are good ... any wood savings that contain cedar is NOT good for chinchillas and can even be deadly.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Crimson_Ham

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 03:46:09 PM »

thanks Joann!
I can't find the one I have for the rabbit online and I'm not home so I'll compare and contrast when I get home. On the upside I believe there is a place (even if there's only one) in town that sells Mazuri. The food packs at the pet stores are so misleading...

paul2641

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »

Hey thanks Jo Ann for all the help!

paul2641

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »

Oh just wondering I gave each chinchilla about 7ish raisins each is that ok, Oh and I only have them on hay for the rest of the night no pellets, Does this level out them getting so many treats?

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »

That's way to many raisins and your chins can get diarrhea from them. Now there's a mess you don't want.
Go with unsweetened cereal, burnt toast, crackers, or even craisons are better than raisins. Papaya is better again.
They don't need sweets/treats, it's like giving candy to a baby.
And that Vitakraft feed is not a good choice, you would probably be better off with a good quality rabbit pellet + timothy & alfalfa hays.You can use the alfalfa as a treat.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up