Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Kaytee Timothy Hay Plus chin safe?  (Read 3651 times)

Crimson_Ham

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Is Kaytee Timothy Hay Plus chin safe?
« on: December 15, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »

My local pet store now has this and apparently it comes with Marigold, Carrot or Mint...
Before my trip down to get x-mas stuff for the fur kids (Santa brings them stockings as well as the kids) I thought I should ask this to someone that may know...
I had other stuff on the list but was considering this for their new hanging hay holder - Xochitl and Sorley have one so far and Dagda's is next, but I can't decide if Switch should get one or not... He's an old rabbit and quite temperamental so maybe just new treats and toys...

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Is Kaytee Timothy Hay Plus chin safe?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 07:14:22 AM »

I have never seen it, but am not a fan of pet store hays. There doesn't seem to be much more than straw in the ones I see around here. I'm sure others here may know more about it.
I'm curious as to the "PLUS" what else is in there ??????
Debbie.nl.ca

obiwan

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 08:21:34 PM »

I saw this on petsmart's website
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3553776
I don't know enough about chinchillas to know if this would be healthy or not. After all this is the same company that makes a fiesta food with lots of fruit and other treats, which cannot be healthy for the animals.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:22:45 AM »

I don't know,  ::shrug:: can't see the back to know what else they put in it. Hmmm mint?
Need your feedback on this one Jo Ann & Jamie. I have never seen it before.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:55:55 AM »

::silly::  Here is a little of what it lists at the bottom of that page {with my personal comments   :D  }

Kaytee Premium Timothy Hay is harvested from the high elevations of the Columbian River Basin
I prefer things in the USA ... a little more supervision of what is going on or how it is grown (supposedly).    ::)

Ingredients:

Timothy Hay Plus Carrots: Natural sun-cured timothy hay, dried carrot.
Timothy Hay Plus Marigolds: Natural sun-cured timothy hay, dried calendula (marigolds).
Timothy Hay Plus Mint: Natural sun-cured timothy hay, dried mint.
Guaranteed Analysis (all varieties):

Crude Protein (min) 4.5%
Crude Fat (min) 0.5%
Crude Fiber (max) 28.0%
Moisture (max) 12.0%
Calcium (min) 0.25%; (max) 0.75%

Gotta  love that "guarantee analysis" with such a presice %, yet different ingredients are being added to each different hay ...   ::think::  Different, but equal?  ???

Additives are not always a good thing.

Personally, I prefer 100% of the real thing.    :D

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
Hay
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:27:22 PM »

The petsmart by me sells that hay now. So you wouldn't suggest trying it, jo ann?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 04:14:52 PM »

::silly::  I was just pointing out the %, the precise numbers listed and the addition of other ingredients,  ::think::  yet keeping the same exact % on each different one as if they are all the same.    ???

It caught me off guard and threw me for a loop.   :doh:  

I have purchased Kaytee hay many times, but not with all the "extras" they have added to these new ones.  I prefer to give my little ones the "extras" as hand fed treats, not at a "part" of the product, especially not knowing the exact amounts they may be or not be getting.  
If you noticed I say "I prefer things in the USA ... a little more supervision of what is going on or how it is grown (supposedly).      ::)   Supposedly being used and rolling eyes there after, as in disbelief.  I tend to read labels carefully, regardless of where they come from.  Those which do not seem to state things that appear to be correct and/or are inconsistent ... I question.   ::shrug::  What might they be hiding?  Just a quirk of mine, I guess.

Keep in mind the more natural a food is, the better it usually is for you and for your little ones.  Additives and preservatives are usually chemical in nature, not natural the way God made it.

At 34, I had my first of 3 heart attacks.  I had a very elderly and smart physician that pointed out to me the down fall of preservatives and chemicals that are added to our food.  I have made sure all I consume (as much as possible), is 100% natural (or as close to it as possible - home canning) ... I'm 60 now, and still kicking ... guess at least a good portion of what he told me was right.  I try to follow the same rules for my critters, too.   :::grins::  (This also contains a warning about the use of microwaves and how it can kill all the nutrients in food you eat.)

You might try growing some large pots of hay ... each pot grown at different stages ... about 3 weeks apart ... see how your little ones love the FRESH hay!   ::nod::  This can be done indoors, with grow lights in the winter and out side in the summer.   :::grins::

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

CAUTION:  If at anytime, you question the contents or freshness of hay or food ... When in doubt ... throw it out.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:10:16 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 09:54:22 AM »

i'v noticed that my chins aren't eating that much of the oxbow hay any more. I think some of the hay in the bag isn't as fresh as what used to be when i got it in the past. Thinking of trying a different brand, but don't know what. Any suggestions!
Pages: [1]   Go Up