Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Suggestions?  (Read 1431 times)

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
Moving Suggestions?
« on: December 23, 2009, 08:09:57 AM »

Hey everyone!

We will be moving soon from Denver, CO to Charlotte, NC.  Do you have any tips for making this trip as stress free as possible for my Chinchillas?

Thanks!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Moving Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 07:22:04 PM »

Hi Steven,
Congratulations on your move.  Charlotte is a wonderful town.  We are only about 2 hours from there and visit often.

Go ahead and get your travel cage.  If you let your chinchillas out to play go ahead and set it open in the floor so they can explore it. 
The night before you leave scoop shavings out of your chins' cage and place that in the carrier.  This will help the cage smell like home during the trip. Go ahead and put your chins in the cage the night before so they can spend their first night in the new cage in the safe surroundings of your home.
If you are driving keep the cage in the middle of the back seat.  That way they get the least amount of sunlight directly on the cage.  Be mindful of the temperature when you make stops.  Here in the south we are still getting enough warmth to heat a parked car so don't leave your chinchilla in a parked car turned off for long.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 11:58:23 PM »

::silly:: 
If you are driving keep the cage in the middle of the back seat.

When placing it in the back seat make sure the cage is in a box or holder that will protect the seat covers on the seat and back of the seat ... they love to nibble on anything they can reach!    Or at least a board between the seat and side of cage.

The reason for keeping it centered in the back seat is that it will most likely be out of the direct sunlight while driving/parked.  Sunbeams + glass window = intense heat, even in the winter.  When using an open carrier (wires on all 4 sides) we place it in a box that can be securely belted in to keep it from moving around should we have to stop suddenly, but with the top open for fresh air.   

Do not place in the floor near an air vent!  Chinchillas prefer the cool rather than heat.  They can easily over heat and die.

Do not get a cloth carrier (like the ones made for cats or small dogs), they will chew through it in no time!

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 08:13:51 PM »

Great advice!  I have a 4 sided wire cage and will put that into a box.  It will be interesting traveling with 2 adults and 3 babies but hopefully all will do well.  Atleast the hubby gets them, I have to deal with the 3 screaming cats in my car!

Merry Christmas!!
Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 07:48:33 AM »

I'd take chinchillas over cats any day!!  Our cat gets car sick and vomits.  UCK!!!  Chinchillas sometimes "scream" in the car but its not nearly as loud.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up