Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: okay food?  (Read 1170 times)

reuben2009

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
okay food?
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:07:04 PM »

When I got Reuben, He came with 2 bags of food, so I've been using that but I'm getting down to end of the second bag and with my reading I'm not sure this is okay food. I posted a picture of the bag from the petco website.  When i give it to him, i pick out all the extras and use them as treats instead.... Is this okay? or should i wean him onto something else? and if so, Suggestions on what to get and where to get it??

http://www.petco.com/product/3124/LM-Animal-Farms-Vita-Vittles-Gold-Total-Diet-for-Chinchillas.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductList_Chinchilla_4-_-LM%20Animal%20Farms%20Vita%2d0Vittles%20Gold%20Total%20Diet%20for%20Chinchillas-3124

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: okay food?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:12:08 PM »

Its not your best choice of feed but it is better than others.  If you are buying over the Internet I would suggest Tradition.  I am down to only one chinchilla right now and I buy my feed from here:
http://www.ryersonchinchilla.com/arc_009.htm
12 lbs of Tradition chinchilla feed boxed and shipped by us mail in Flat rate box. Will ship to anywhee in 48 states. 12 lbs with shipping included
Price $19.50

I keep it in the plastic bag, in the shipping box, in a cool, dry, dark closet. I close the bag tightly with a rubber band each time I feed.  This should last about 3 months stored like this.  You will still have feed but you can just toss that after 3 months and reorder.  You will find this is actually cheaper than buying feed from your local pet store and you know it will be the best food for your chinchilla.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: okay food?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:26:54 PM »

::silly::  I just checked out the ingredients of the "Chinchilla Food"  you are asking about ....   :o

Ingredients
Dehydrated alfalfa meal, ground oats, ground wheat, whole oats, soybean meal, ground corn, linseed meal, raisins, dehydrated bananas, dried whey, dried skimmed milk, maize distillers, dried grains with solubles, cane molasses, sucrose, wheat middlings, brewers dried yeast, dextrose, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, meat and bone meal, fish meal, blend of animal fat and vegetable oil (preserved with BHT and stabilized with citric acid), l-lysine, dl methionine, choline chloride, saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast, streptococcus faecium fermentation product, aspergillus oryzae fermentation product, aspergillus niger fermentation extract, lactobacillus acidophilus, yucca shidigera extract, vitamin A acetate in gelatin, d-activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium, pantothenate, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), viotin, niacin, riboflavin, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate (source of vitamin E), vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, ethoxyquin (a preservative), ground limestone, salt, potassium sulfate, calcium propionate (a preservative), lecithin, manganese sulfate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper oxide, cobalt carbonate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, wheat germ oil, vegetable oil, cod liver oil, natural and artificial flavors, and color.
   ??? :-\ ::scaredspeachless:: :o :doh: :flames: ::tickedoff:: >:( :noway:  Sheesh!   ::puke::

Tradition is a good feed, so is Shoots, Oxbow, and Mazuri.  Tradition and Shoots usually has to be shipped and is purchased via the internet (unless you can catch them at a show and get them to meet you there with it.  Oxbow is usually found at the vets.  Mazuri is found in some pet stores and in some Walmarts.

::howdythere::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up