Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: crazy loud wheel!  (Read 8518 times)

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
crazy loud wheel!
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:35:12 AM »

So, we have a 15' wheel for our three chinnies and they all loveeeee it. at night they go crazy and it does keep us up sometimes but when we try taking it out, our little sneaky boy Indy always manages to get out of the cage somehow because he gets so antsy i suppose. I've heard that there are some metal wheels that are remotely silent, does anyone know where i could purchase them? or maybe someone has made them and could explain it so my boyfriend could attempt?! any help is appreciated!  ;)

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
Re: crazy loud wheel!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:26:12 PM »

I got mine from a chinchilla breeder on ebay.  He custom makes them with a roller blade wheel and it is super quiet.  I took a quick look and didn't see the one I got.  I will find out who I got mine from and shoot you back with the info.

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 02:53:59 PM »

ok thanks i'd appreciate that so much! sounds great

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 04:02:35 PM »

Ha, I know what you mean about a loud wheel.. I haven't found a silent wheel yet. I got a mental saucer off of a website. I'll try to find it for you. My problem with the saucer is it is 15" also and heavy. It attaches to the side of the cage. My cage isn't ment for such a big wheel, which i didn't know till i got it. So when my chins run on it, and they like to go crazy on it, it shakes the whole cage. It has broken a few of the wires also. The saucer it still loud for me. IF you have a better cage than I do, then I don't think that would be a problem.

cusunfireguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 06:58:55 AM »

I sent the person I purchased mine from a message.  They didn't have any listed at this time but they usually have them pretty often.  If you have Ebay and want to look them up, their seller name is bloominhedgehogs.  I will let you know when a get an answer back from them!

Thanks!

Steven

cusunfireguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »

I heard back from the person on Ebay that custom makes the quiet wheels.  He said that he has all of the supplies on order and will be making more soon!

Steven

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 05:46:37 PM »

we have a saucer also but they dont even like it haha they can't seem to figure it out so the wheel is still their favorite, and loudest! steven, the ebay wheel sounds great! are they expensive? i will check him out in a couple of days and see if he put one up yet to bid on :) thanks!

cusunfireguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 11:17:46 AM »

I think I paid like between $30 to $45 for it.  Not really sure but well worth the money!

Steven

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 12:25:53 PM »

Yeah, that wheel you have sounds nice. my saucer was supposed to be quit but its not. Does it shake the cage? I'm going to have to check it out.

olivia41

• View Profile

cusunfireguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 04:56:52 PM »

Nope that is not it.  I did get a message today from the guy that cutoms builds them and he has made some more.  The link is below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chinchilla-Rat-Safe-Exercise-Cage-Wheel-16-inch-NEW_W0QQitemZ280450137258QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414c217caa

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »

How heavy and sturdy is it? How does it attach to the cage?

cusunfireguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 06:10:57 PM »

It is very sturdy.  He makes it with a central "rollerblade wheel" for the axel so it's super quiet.  The only thing you hear is their feet on the metal.  It has 2 cross bars that atattch to the cage with 4 washers and wing nuts.  I have to say, I went thru about 6 different wheels before I found this one.  It is like 16 inches, pretty big, it does not have anything in the middle to hit them in the back, there is no plastic, and boy can they build up some speed in that sucker!!!  I don't think you will be disappointed.  It has saved my sanity for sure cause my female and babies just go to town in it.  My old ones were so loud I would wake up in the middle of the night thinking someone was knocking on my front door.  I have had mine for about 7 months now and it works just as it did out of the box.  For a hand made wheel, I thought $38.99 was very fair.  If you get one, let me know how you like it.  I just love mine and so do the chinchillas!

Considering how expensive wheels are, I wish I had found this one right away.  Below is a copy & paste of the description:

NEW SILENT BEARING SYSTEM
16 INCHES IN DIAMETER WITH A 4 INCH SOLID RUNNING PATH
NO SHARP EDGES TO INJURE YOUR PET

CROSSBAR FREE TO PROTECT TAILS AND FEET
LATHE SPUN STEEL AND TECTURED FOR TRACTION
VERY EASY TO CLEAN
COMPLETELY MAINTENANCE FREE BEARINGS
RUST FREE COATING ON ALL PARTS
EASILY MOUNTS ON ANY WIRE CAGE
OILED WITH USDA APPROVED FOOD GRADE BEARING OIL FOR YOUR PETS SAFETY
NO PLASTIC ANYWHERE ON THIS WHEEL!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you looking for a SAFE wheel for your chinchilla or rat?  Please consider a plastic free aluminum wheel. This type of wheel has been used by the chinchilla community for a number of years. They also work great for large rats!

My wheels are made out of a high quality steet pan with a 4 inch running path.  I use maintenance free bearings that will last forever!  My wheels can easily be mounted inside of any wire or mesh cage with a bar size of less than 1 inch with the included hardware.  No tools required!  You will need a cage height and width of 17” to install this wheel.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »

I wish i found it sooner also. My problem is that my cage isn't made for my saucer and its  big and vibrates the whole cage. Its braking the wires. I'm wondering if this would be better for me.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 09:09:30 AM »

I wish i found it sooner also. My problem is that my cage isn't made for my saucer and its  big and vibrates the whole cage. Its braking the wires. I'm wondering if this would be better for me.

This is true, even with some of the best ... it is not always the wheel, or the cage that is the culprit ... but the combination of both.   ::nod::

Sealed/compressed ball bearings are generally the quietest.   :::grins::
Most wire cages are not made to withstand the vibration caused by the use of any wheel ... regardless of the quality of the wheel. 

We have tried different things over the years.  Most regular chinchilla cages have wire that is light weight and has been welded at each junction or crossing of each wire.  Welding does not stand up well under constant or frequent vibrations ... regardless of the quality of the welding ... eventually, it's gonna give/break. 

Wire now being used in cages was originally made to contain or restrict the movements of an animal from one place to another ... but was not designed to stand up under constant or heavy vibration.

The heaver weight cages, normally made of bars rather than wire, are stronger and tend to stand up longer under the vibrations of the wheel, but rarely have the safe distance between the bars needed for a chinchilla safe cage.

So, what do you do?  Try using a large piece of plywood on the out side of the cage to help stabilize the cage and wheel, when in use, bracing it around the borders of the plywood from the inside with solid 1" X 1'" or 1" X 2" solid pine boards on the inside of the cage screwed to the plywood board.  The larger the area braced, the better the results, usually.  The solid pine boards/frame keep the chins from getting to the plywood and helps to form a much larger surface to absorb the vibration.

The "best" solution we have found is to use special play cages that are extra strong/with extra bracing and allow chins to have their play/exercise time in the wheel in it each day, then they can play in their own cages at night. 

The quietest solution was to let the chins have their wheels outside of the cage, attached to doors or heavy wooden boxes that are also used to store chin supplies inside.

Assess the problem and be inventive with the solution ... I'm sure there are many other solutions that can be found.   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up