Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to catch a chinchilla  (Read 4179 times)

snowy123

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Best way to catch a chinchilla
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »

what is the best way to catch a chinchilla?

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to catch a chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:09:40 PM »

there really is no specific way haha theyre very quick! but you have to figure out what works for you. my one boy usually will just come on my lap and let me pick him up but thats after alot of training. i have to usually lure both of my boys with either a shake of the oats can or a tap of the dust bath. you have to make sure that if you shake a certain treat they associate that noise with getting the treat afterwards so you must give them the treat after you shake it. eventually you can put the treat in the bowl in their cage and theyll learn to go to it. theyre very smart!  :2funny: also the dust bath they learn pretty quickly as long as you tap it or make some sort of noise with it and then show it to them. they love their dust!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 10:28:35 AM »

Corner it and scoop. As they are getting ready to bolt put one hand in their path and the other behind.Once I have the hand in front of them under them I catch the tail at the base.
I have heard of some using a butterfly net, or even a light towel thrown over them.
The easiest it put the bath bottle on the floor and tap on it, as soon as they run in put your hand over the opening.
If you have a  bowl change it to a plastic container with a lid and cut a hole in one end.
I like bottle type bath container, as it keeps the dust down and makes for easy trapping with out the stress.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 08:07:03 AM »

::silly::   A pond net (used to catch fish) is good.  It has a long handle,  and 1 to 3 flat sides that are flexible.  You don not want to chase them and "throw it over them" because even a light weight rim can cause damage.  You want them to run into the net and then bring it down, trapping them.  If they run under a piece of furnature or in a corner, block him/her with the net ... if your little one is being playful, it will run when you bend down or move towards it ... run right into the net.   :::grins::

Butterfly nets are nice, but small and have a tendency to have rigid rims.

Move slowly and gently, bait him/her with their favorite things ... a treat or dust bath.

::fruit::  Never let a chin out to play (unless he/she will come when called), unless you have an hour or so before you have to leave home ... they are #1 when it comes to the game of "Hide-n-Seek"!    ::hide::     

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Hippo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 09:47:36 PM »

I use rasins and the dust bath.  The latter works better.  Also, it's good to block off any places the chins might hide.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 02:25:47 PM »

i hear alot of people use the dust bath, they just love them so much.. once they go in, just put the bathhouse in their cage. 

dont' chase them, that will stress them out.

peronsally i just corner them. and then put my hands around them and one under and let them kind start walking up on my arm.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

gina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »

I have the same problem. One of my chins "allows" me to pick him up and place him in the cage. HOWEVER..the other one is super-lightning fast  ::taunt:: and stubborn... and I usually have to put out of those elbow macaroni looking PVC pipes on the floor and lure him into it, then close it off @ both ends while I transport him safely back into their Chinnie Condo.  PS the pic on the left is of my stubborn Bandit!
...Aren't they they Cutest when they're Sleeping?... Gina :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up