Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playtime  (Read 1588 times)

aisling

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Playtime
« on: January 30, 2010, 05:38:35 PM »

Hi... I'm new to the chinchilla world. I have two myself, by the names of chilli and sunni!

I was just wondering about their playtime... How long do they need out of the cage? Do they need to out every night? At the moment they are out every second night for about 3hrs.. on the nights they dont go out, they have plenty of toys in their which I hope keeps them amused. I would hate for them to be bored.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Playtime
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 06:09:52 PM »

You know, every chinchilla is different.  They usually will acclimate to your routine.  We let ours out every day or two.  We let them decide when to go back in as they are trained to.  Mine usually stay out a 1/2 hour or so then go back in and stretch out.  It's all up to the chinchilla.  You must have your place really chin proofed if they are out 3 hours!  We chin proof like crazy and they still find something to get into!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:36:55 AM »

They don't need to get get out of the cage if the cage is adequate.   Our chinchillas in breeding never have outside cage time.  If they aren't used to it they won't miss it.  But if you get them into a routine of expecting it its hard to take it away.  My kids had a few as pets and would let them out everyday at a certain time.  Once or twice they were late and the chinchillas came to the door and started shaking it.  ::tickedoff:: They knew it was time to be outside and they were mad!!
 :2funny:

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

aisling

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:15:06 AM »

ok!! so as long as I provide plenty of stimulation, I should be fine if its only every second night.

My house isnt chinchilla proof at all but it's a new house and theres one small room that is tiled and has nothing in it- no wires or hiddy holes, its just an open space so thats where they go.. I've put boxes in there with holes in them and I sit in with them too.

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:07:07 AM »

that room sounds perfect for them. nothing to get their little paws on! hehe. but if you do decide to put them in a room where they could get into stuff, just make sure they are supervised. I let my boys out everyday at certain times but its never for more than an hour except at night. thats when theyre the most active and i usually let them decide when they are ready to go back in for the the night. how big is your cage? as long as they have lots to chew on, they can run around and they have each other they should be okay  ::)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 02:51:50 PM »

::hither::

Sounds like you have a couple of happy little chins there. The room is perfect, and they so love to play with boxes . ::bouncyball::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up