Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: keeping chin in kitchen area  (Read 1218 times)

nervousings

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
keeping chin in kitchen area
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:30:37 PM »

sorry for the bombardment of questions the past few hours... but i just want to make sure my chin ill have the best, most comfortable life within my familys means.
i have a large space in the back corner of my kitchen. its sort of an enclosed area..the fridge is supposed to fit there, but we had to move it out because the door wouldnt open.. (landlord didnt seem to deem it necessary to have the hinges on the correct side) so we pulled it out and placed it in a more convienent spot. im planning on setting up the cage there on top of a stand so that he will be eye level, not just starting at the back of cabinets. i guess its just hard to explain, but he will be near the sink... i plan on making a curtain around the area in case we need to do dishes or cook and hes sleeping. is this ok? i bake quite often, and though the oven is on the other side of the kitchen, will the heat it emits overheat my chinny? im at work so i cant take a picture, so when i get home i can if that would help make the situation more clear. any input would be greatly appreciated!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: keeping chin in kitchen area
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:44:38 AM »

As I was reading your post I was thinking the two problems would be heat from the oven and hair and dust from the chin all over your kitchen where you cook.  You can buy a digital thermometer at Wal-mart that remembers the highest and lowest temps for under $15.  I would get one of those and sit it on top of the table in the kitchen corner for 24 hours as you bake.    Check the high and low temp after the 24 hours and you will have a good idea how the oven will affect the space. 

As for the hair and dust, that is a personal preference.  I know the room my chinchillas are kept in keeps a thin layer of dust on it and hair is always clinging to something.  It wouldn't be my choice for the kitchen, but if that is your only area I guess you have to do what you have to do.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

nervousings

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:08:14 AM »

thank you! i didnt even think of the dust being a problem. im going to test the temperature today while i make the husband cupcakes. im hoping that it will stay a good temperature, and, if i decide to keep him there, im hoping the curtain will keep the dust away! :)

Woodstock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 08:44:42 PM »

I don't really know anything about whether that's a good idea for the chins or not. I'm not quite an owner yet. But I do know that most refigerators offer the capability to switch the side the hinges are on. Usually it's really simple.
Pages: [1]   Go Up