Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weight help!  (Read 2691 times)

eringoesmoo

• Appreciation points: 2
  • RIP Lollita
    • View Profile
Weight help!
« on: February 03, 2010, 09:04:45 PM »

I have a female extra dark ebony that I just can NOT get to gain weight. I've had her for almost a year. She was born on 8-20-08. I know ebonies take longer to mature, but her weight goes (Slowly) back and forth between 440-460. Im not worried because I know that she is healthy, but how can I make her gain weight? Will she do it on her own? Does it just take ebonies that long to reach 500? I feed Mazuri, Calf Manna, TImothy hay, and alfalfa cubes.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Weight help!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:44:48 PM »

It sound like she is just a really small chinchilla.  Does she have pretty much all mutation in her pedigree? You get that a lot with mutations if standards are not brought back into the bloodline.   I wouldn't use her for breeding if she were mine.  You are not going to get nice sizes chinchillas from her.  You could breed her with a massively large male to try to counteract her small size but I would worry about delivery problems.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:10:43 PM »

::silly::  When talking with most "older breeders" you will find they are referring to standards used for standard gray chinchillas, because they were the most prevalent color of chinchillas being raised, and they were being raised for fur, not as pets.  {The standard gray chinchillas that lived in the wild were often twice the size of most chinchillas of today.} 

The 'standards'/'general rules' set by the breeders to go by were based on the age, health and size of the chinchilla ... 500 grams is often considered a minimum "safe breeding weight" because that weight was usually not reached by the standard gray chinchillas until the chinchilla was old enough/mature enough, and developed enough to safely carry and deliver kits.

Mutation chinchillas came along later, but the same age and size "standards" were/are still being used.  Most feel it should still be the standard/rule because that weight is usually not reached until the chinchilla is old enough/mature enough, and developed enough to safely carry and deliver kits ... not to mention, a larger chinchilla with a good build and good fur is a sign of a healthy chinchilla ... this is what a breeder should strive for ... so that the chinchilla will have a future and not become extinct due to bad breeding.   What so many people/older breeders do not explain to new breeders, is that is it is not just the actual weight that has to be considered, but, the maturity and bone structure that is a huge factor in the safety and health of the mother and kits.  A female chinchilla must be "large enough" in the pelvic area to be able to safely deliver kits.  There is a way to "measure" the size of the pelvic ... it is by using the size of the thumb to check the size of the pelvic area/delivery canal of the soon to be momma chin.  {  :blush2: Aha-Hah, but not everyone's thumb is the same size either ... well ... at the time this was (and still is) practiced, it is the size of a grown man's thumb, not a child's or a woman's thumb. } 

As a general rule, the smaller the parents, the smaller are the kits born to them ... and ... the lower the birth weight ... the less likely they will survive.

Smaller chinchillas are sold as "pet quality", not as breeding quality ... due to the fate that would result for all chinchillas, should breeders continue to breed small chinchillas and do nothing to try to strengthen the gene pool.

Ebonies are usually small, due to the constant breeding of ebony to ebony (most people are not patient enough to work at it and help the line become stronger over generations - this would be much better in the long run - but to many want the "instant gratification" of the dark ebony kits immediately).

To do this, you will need several ebonies, as not to breed back to the same line over the generations.

IF this ebony has good strong fur, a blueish tint (no hints of red tint), and is blocky built ... and you really want to breed her, I would use a pure standard gray that is slightly larger than her.
I would do the same with several other ebony/pure standard gray pairs and breed each new generation of standard gray/ebony carrier to another new generation of standard gray/ebony carrier or hetero ebony to hetero ebony ... each time breeding to a slightly larger pure standard gray or large hetero ebony.  Over several generations (and years) you should be able to develop larger ebony chinchillas.  This is the longer route ... but the safest and most prov-en method to succeed.

In the wild and as a general rule, the female is larger than the male ... As Jamie said ... in doing this (large male to small female), there is also a chance that the kits born to small females with larger sires, will often produce kits to large to deliver and you can loose mom and kits.

::wave::  Jo Ann

Each new journey begins with one step ..
Slow and steady, goes the patient traveler ...
To his desired destination.
The pace of the traveler who is in a hurry ...
Oftens finds himself by the wayside ....
Without a goal that can be reached.

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

eringoesmoo

• Appreciation points: 2
  • RIP Lollita
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 08:49:31 PM »

Thanks so much guys! I think, for her safety, she will just be a pet, I may rehome her to a friend of mine, but im not going to breed her. Jo Ann, thank you for giving me so much information! Can you explain a little on the thumb thing? How exactly do I measure that just for future reference? Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up