Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question on the temperature (asia country)  (Read 1180 times)

viperidae

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
question on the temperature (asia country)
« on: March 03, 2010, 12:59:59 AM »

as above, is it necessary to provide an air conditioner for the chinchilla to maintain the require temperature?my current temperature, day time outdoor 32-37C, indoor around 29-30c night time would be a bit lower... :blush2:

btw, what if keeping them without air conditioner in this condition?i read from a breeder who mentioned that those who keep without air cond should provide more sand bath (probably 3 times per week) then it will be alright? but of course the fur may not be as nice as those keep in the air cond room, how true is it??regarding the health problem, will it cause any health problem if kept long term in this condition.

thanks

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: question on the temperature (asia country)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »

I'm afraid that is way too hot for a chinchilla.    Chinchillas cool their body by pumping blood into their ears.  The outside air cools the blood and then it returns to the body to cool the body.  If the air is 75F or higher the chinchilla can not cool off and can die.  The is about 23 C.  You must use an air conditioner to keep the room below 23 C all the time.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

LindyLu

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »

I'm not sure about C's.... I know chins need to be kept between 65 and 75 F. They don't do well in HUMIDITY (which is another reason to have an AC).
 People in HUMID areas might provide more sand baths to absorb moisture on the chins body.
Depending on the heat and humidity levels...I normally would NOT recommend replacing the AC with extra dust baths. Maybe if your live in a climate that is naturally never hotter than 75 F, and not very humid, you could go without an AC.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:24:45 AM »

20 C = 68 F

That's  about as hot as my chins see, though they can tolerate up to 75 F = 23.8 c

Much more than that and they start to loose fur, energy, appetite and the problems begin.
They don't sweat.

I'd keep cooling tiles and such in the cage at all time and keep aircon on 24/7
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up