Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i feel bad :(  (Read 2322 times)

Petey621

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
i feel bad :(
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:00:06 PM »

Every night i let my chin Chiko out for free run and i can tell when he starts to overheat by looking at his ears if his veins are really red.
the other night when i put him back in his cage he laid on his side probably really hot and tired but he easily recovered but he then starts to beg to come out of the cage again.

when i let him out he rockets around the room and jumps on and off my bed so hes getting lots of exercise but i cant have him out all night.

i feel so bad to watch him grab the bars and look at me with those eyes that just say "please give me some more time outside"

we are looking to get him a cage mate to help occupy him at night when i sleep but is there a way i can get him to be a little more forgiving when i put him back in the cage? i feel like he dislikes me for ending his play time.

p.s. he has plenty of chew toys in the cage along with a tube to crawl through and a chin-chiller tile to sleep on.

any advice would be much appreciated

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: i feel bad :(
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:39:07 PM »

Mine are eager to go back because their is a treat, and/or bath to follow.
If you giving attention to him for chewing on the bars he will surly keep it up.
Try attaching some pieces of pine to the areas he chew at the most. Move toys around, swap some in and out so there is someting new most of the time.
Get him a teddy.
Turn on a TV or radio.
And just like a child reward good behavior and ignore bad behavior.
Getting a cage buddy might help, but you could just end up with 2 chewing at the bars.
Debbie.nl.ca

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:25:14 AM »

Does he have a wheel?
My boys love to run in their wheels and it seems to help them calm down.
Sandy

flynhawaiian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:53:47 AM »

I love them grabbing the bar and staring at you.  Reminds me of a prisioner.  The ironic part is they absolutely love their cage.  I think they just like messing with you.  When my little boy goes nuts and starts crying I give him a treat!  But the wheel is the best, it's funny to watch them..  Sometimes they run and jump out and watch it spin then get back in and rock it back and forth. 

I don't know how anyone can live without chinchillas they are like the "BESTis"!!!

Petey621

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 02:20:56 PM »

what kind of teddy is safe if he chews it and the stuffing comes out cant that harm him?

i always give him a bath after every free run and he gets a cherio for being a good boy is giving him a bath so often bad for him does it dry out the skin or anything?

atm i dont have the money for a wheel but what would be a good site to find one i know the pet stores dont sell the right kind or width

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 10:27:28 AM »

They don't usually distroy the teddy that fast. Make sure there are no removable parts like eyes and nose pieces.
If there are just take them off.
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 01:41:36 PM »

hi,

i didn't notice this so i just wanted to say that:  all chins do not get along, so if you get another chinchilla, there is a possibility they might not be able to live in the same cage.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

chilliebean99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 05:11:22 PM »

my chillie bean does the same thing. if i walk past her cage she begs to come out. she has all sorts of things to do in her cage. she is also a very hyper chin she makes me laugh so hard sometimes. she will jump and run all over my house during her out of cage time. i have one of those window perches for my birds and she will jump on everything she can until she can get to that perch and then she will sit on that for a bit then go back to being a busy fast girl. i think they do the whole cage thing just like a naughty kid you send to their room. when they want to get their way they look so sad until you give in. i can only imagine what goes through their minds lol

BambiLove

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Why must chinchillas be so cute?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 12:28:33 AM »

my chinchilla does that too =[ it made me so sad at first, but I'm better at it now. What i do is that i'd put treats in his food (i got oats) and hide them around his cage so he can go look for his "treasures" while i'm sleeping, and i'd let him take a bath when he goes back inside so he's not that sad anymore =]
I wish one day every pet will have a good home and be happy~
Pages: [1]   Go Up