Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: depressed chinchilla?  (Read 3812 times)

Kohana

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
depressed chinchilla?
« on: March 04, 2010, 03:31:11 PM »

Hi there everyone,

I recently adopted a male 5-month old chinchilla from someone on craigslist who put out an ad. Well hes been skittish since the day we got him, but I figured that was normal. We've had him for about 2 weeks now and even bought him this huge multi-level cage, and all he does is sit in one corner. I'm afraid he'll get depressed and die.. when we put our hands in the cage, he hisses and has bitten and drawn blood. I don't know what to do at this point, I really want to develop a bond with him but I'm not sure how to train him. We let him out of his cage in the playpen for about an hour a day. He seems to like the exercise wheel.

He grew up with his parents since the day he was born and I wonder if hes depressed and lonely because he is seperated from them. Could this be the reason? If so, would getting another chin make him more sociable?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: depressed chinchilla?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 03:41:40 PM »

It sounds like your chinchilla is scared. If you have a smaller cage you might want to start with that. He will feel more secure and it will be easier to tame him.   Make sure his cage is against a wall and in a quiet area of your house.  Don't place him where you will be walking back and forth in front of the cage all the time, but do place him where he can see you.  (maybe an unused corner of the family room.  

Be sure to give him a box of some sort to hide in.  This can be a fancy wooden box from the pet store or just a plain cardboard box you have laying around.  Its important that he has a place to go to feel secure.  If you have to chase him to get him back into his cage its best not to let him out until you have bonded.  

Spend some time with your hand just inside the door of his cage.  Place some raisins or a pile of dust bath in your open palm to try to get him to come up to you. (this is when a smaller cage is handy.   DO NOT try to pet him or pick him up until he is comfortable coming up to you right when you place in your hand.  This could take awhile (sometimes days).  If he has never had a raisin you might need to add one to his food dish every day so he can taste it.  Patience is everything with chinchillas.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »

Patience is everything with chinchillas.

Is it ever ::nod::

I let them be, just take good care of them. Offering runs and play time, if I can lay the cage on the floor so they can get in and out all by themselves, helps.
Some cages will fit across the bathroom door way so I just scoot the cage up to it and open the door. After a period of time I watch for them to get in and close the door again. Place the cage back on it normal resting place, talk softy and give treats.I start by leaving them on the shelf so they are there waiting for them.
After a while I wait until I put the cage back and kind of ask them do they want their treats now. Eventually they will come get them.
The Length of time varies from a few weeks to months.
Debbie.nl.ca

Kohana

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 10:51:20 AM »

Thank you for all your replies. I guess I will have to be more patient with him in the mean time. I will go out and buy some raisins as well.

So do you think getting another baby chinchilla would be a bad idea for now? Everyone keeps telling me they do best in pairs, because they are social animals.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »

I like to have them bond with me before I give them a cage mate.
Debbie.nl.ca

sabrina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »

is he eating and drinking ok?
Pages: [1]   Go Up