Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why a chinchilla?  (Read 5668 times)

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Why a chinchilla?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 08:50:25 PM »

agreed. i have all four of my boys in my room with me and i've just grown accustomed to sleeping with them. yeah they're up at night and my big boys have a wheel (little ones are too young still i'm worried they'll hurt themselves) and i'm able to sleep through it. if you're a light sleeper it might keep you up a little at first cause they jump and such, but i'm sure you'll get used to it! i like having my boys in the same room as me at night

TheStoryofHurricane

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 05:07:24 PM »

Is it true that with male chinchillas you have to like pull out their penis and check for hair? Because I read that on a caresheet, and it sounds like something I really wouldn't jump at the chance to do. I will if need be, but still...

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 06:16:46 PM »

male chinchillas can develop hair rings around their penis. it's very painful for them. they groom themselves basically everyday and do their own hair ring check, but it is advised to check yourself atleast once a month. it is very simple and will save your chinnie problems. however, if you don't want to do it after reading up on how to, you might wanna go with females?  :::grins::

TheStoryofHurricane

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 11:05:08 PM »

Oh ok. I'm probably imagining it as a lot more trouble than it really is. I can probably deal with that.

smokie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 04:22:03 PM »

re chinchillas in the bedroom....

I think it's great (for them) to have them in your bedroom because a deal is struck; if they are out for hours you get a little sleep, if they are not out at all you get none!

Does anyone actually get a full night's sleep with them in their room because I can't remember the last time I slept through the night!

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 08:51:03 AM »

We have chinchillas (a mother and her two month old son) in two habitats in my daughter's room. She says they play quietly some nights, some nights she hears nothing. We only separated them yesterday, so I can't say how it will be after they settle each in their own habitat, but once they got used to their new home with us at first, they were perfect little angels at night. Busy, but quiet. Of course we take out their belled toys and their wheel at night, but all their other toys and amusements stay with them. We get a lengthy play time each morning (free running in a large empty bathroom) and in the evening (cuddles and lap play).
Chinchillas are a lot of learning about a new species, but with their independence, cleverness, affection, wit and empathetic nature, I find them a  perfect companion for my 13 year old daughter, and myself. ::nod::  The little kit especially seems to understand (and like) when I need to have him in my lap for cuddle  time. And the Mother is just a hoot, redecorating, tidying and letting us know it is definitely HER habitat, we are merely guests  ::)
So, on the whole, very good companions to have in your room, provided they can get enough quiet time to sleep during the middle of the day. Some people find this a plus, as they go to work/school during that time. Your little chinns will be happy to be left alone to sleep, and happy to greet you when you get back. Great pets!  ::silly::
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up