Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I have an unusual Chilla questions, any help is welcome  (Read 1787 times)

l.clement

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
I have an unusual Chilla questions, any help is welcome
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:42:55 AM »

Hey guys,

So my boyfriend and I just bought two 3 and half month old chilla girls (Lulu and Lala). We really want to give them the best life possible and have come across a dilemma. I live in Lethbridge, Ab  and my boyfriend is in Calgary, Ab (2 hr drive away). He comes to see me every 2nd weekend and I drive to see him every 2nd weekend.

So my question is.....is it in the best interest of the chillas to leave them in their current cage (in Calgary) with ample food and water for 2.5 days every other weekend or would it be better for him to take them here where I have a 2nd very large cage with all the proper chilla care stuff as well?

As so far, we have not transported them because we were uncertain, but I really hope that bringing them to Lethbridge is an option as we love to play with them. We just don't want to put unnecessary stress on them. If this is a possibility, any tips on travelling with them would be welcome.

Thanks! And I look forward to your replies!,

Lea

flynhawaiian

• View Profile
Re: I have an unusual Chilla questions, any help is welcome
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 09:49:50 AM »

When traveling with our chins, we have a travel cage.  I have a cardboard box that fits the cage then I put it in the back seat and strap it in with the lap strap.  I place the chest strap behind it.  I have a ledge in the cage for them to sit on.  One sits under one on top, I have no clue why.  We make sure they have water and food.  I place a towel over top of the cage and behind the belt to ensure they don't munch on it.

Ours don't mind traveling, we have had them in the car for like 7 hours before.

l.clement

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:04:29 AM »

Awesome, thanks for your reply!

flynhawaiian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:08:12 AM »

Do you have a travel cage?  I’m not sure about others but this is the one we have it was $40 with shipping,  I’m not really making a recommendation either way but in my HONEST opinion, I would never leave my chins uncared for, more than 10 hours even in their cage.  But I would go insane, I suppose if I had a webcam setup to see them and someone whom I could call in case on an emergency I might leave them alone, but probably unlikely.

l.clement

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »

Yes we do, its about that size but a bit wider. The breeder gave it to us when we bought them :)  I know what you mean about leaving them alone, we just don't want to do it. Plus we really consider them family now since we're going to have them for so long.

flynhawaiian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 10:22:26 AM »

Ours kinda like the car, it's funny  :2funny:

They are like, ride... ride and then go to sleep!  Make sure the ac is on and the heat is not blasting.  You want it about 68 in the car no more!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 10:22:32 AM »

Agreed, the chins will soon get used to the routine, and love it. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 05:38:23 AM »

::silly::   I have some that love it, while others seem to dislike it.  The younger they are when you start traveling, the more adapt they seem to be able to be, as a rule.

They like enclosed spaces, so small transport cages are best.  (One that will not allow them to jump around allot - or be thrown around inside of it in an accident.)

Make sure you block any sunlight that would beam down on their cage. (Heat buildup due to the sun can heat up the cage itself and the area inside the cage quickly.)

Keep the cage/carrier away from direct airflow from the air vents in the car.  

Go through the drive-through ... do not stop to run in for a bite or purchase something, the sun can cause the car to heat up quickly and cause the chins to stroke-out due to the heat.   The air inside the car can even overheat in the winter when parked in the direct sunlight.

Keep jars of ice in a cooler in the case of a break down or an accident.  The ice will help cool them and the condensation on the outside of the jars will provide water for them to drink.

Have a light weight towel or blanket to be able to use to shade the cage in the case of a breakdown or an accident.

Protect your car seat and interior by using thick cardboard and/or a heavy blanket between the cage and the seat or fabric inside your auto. Remember ... chins love to chew on most everything, given the opportunity.

If they get upset ... talk to them softly and/or place the carry cage in you lap, (if you are not driving or in the seat next to you if you are driving) but away from direct air flow from the air vents (hot or cold). 

Do keep in mind there are air vents in autos that blow air on your feet - under the seat and directly to the floorboard of the passenger's section behind the front seats.  Heat from working parts under the auto can cause the floors to become heated ... do not place the cage directly on the floor of the auto.

Keep the radio on, but low in volume.   :)

::wave::  Jo Ann

P.S.  Do secure the cage in place, but also protect those straps from being chewed on by the little one.   ::nod::
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:53:47 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up